To attend UBC as an exchange student, you must be enrolled at one of UBC's partner universities. Your home university's exchange office will determine your eligibility for an exchange program – contact them for details on their application procedures.
Your application will also be reviewed by our office. Applications to study in Applied Science, Architecture, Commerce, Creative Writing, Education, Forestry, Graduate Studies, Kinesiology, Land and Food Systems, Landscape Architecture, and Social Work will be reviewed by the faculty or department. Admission to these programs is limited.
Acceptance to UBC is confirmed once your home university's exchange office receives your acceptance letter. We recommend that you do not purchase an airline ticket prior to receiving your official letter of acceptance.
- Ensure you meet UBC's English language requirements
- Review program and course restrictions
Read this information carefully to confirm which programs and courses are available to exchange students.
- Complete the online exchange application. Once your university has sent us your name and email address, we will email you the URL to our online application. Please submit your application by April 1st. Once you have submitted the online application, you will receive a confirmation email indicating your UBC student number.
- Submit your application documents (e.g., transcript) to your home exchange office. Have your home exchange office forward all required documents to UBC by April 1st.
- Apply for a Campus-Wide Login (CWL) account
This is required in order to complete UBC's online housing application, and you will need this log in later to check your registration and pay your fees.
- Visit the CWL Sign Up page.
- Select Student and Alumni from the list of choices.
- Follow the instructions to complete the application. Your default Student Service Centre password is set to your 6 digit date of birth in the order of yymmdd (e.g. 920111).
Complete the online housing application
Space in on-campus housing is in high demand; please apply by May 1st. Please DO NOT wait until you have been admitted; apply as soon as you have created a CWL account to login on the Student Services Centre. The housing application will ask you to rank your residence choices. While UBC makes an effort to place you in the residence of your choice, placement is based on availability.
Housing application tips:
- Go to the Housing and Conferences Online Service Centre and log in under “UBC New Applicants, Students, Staff with CWL ID.”
- Log in with the CWL you created in step 5
- Select “Application,” and then “Apply.”
- Select the application for the 2015/2016 Winter Session (15W).
- When asked for your faculty, enter “Exchange Program, year 1.”
- There is a $50 non-refundable application fee.
- The $800 housing deposit must be paid by Visa or MasterCard and is due upon acceptance of your room offer.
- We will inform the housing office whether you are coming for one or two terms as there is no place for you to indicate this on their application.
Application document checklist
It's your responsibility to ensure that your university exchange office sends us the following documents by April 1:
Print out the Go Global Application Document Checklist and include it with your other application documents prior to the application deadline.
Current official academic transcript (if you are applying for graduate studies please include both undergraduate and graduate transcripts)
Official translation of academic transcript (if original transcript is not in English)
Test of English Proficiency if English is not your first language (check to see if this requirement has been waived for your university)
One passport-sized photo (with name and university written on back)
Proposed Course Selection Form - This form will give us an idea of what you plan to study at UBC but will not be used to register you in courses.
For students applying to the following programs, additional documents must also be submitted. See the required documentation table for details.
UBC will publish the 2015/2016 course schedule by mid-April to early May 2015. You will need to submit your final course selections by June 1, 2015. We register you in your courses beginning in late June.
-Statement explaining your interest in the discipline of architecture and UBC's School of Architecture
-Curriculum Vitae (resumé)
-Two letters of reference
-Portfolio (a representative sample of undergraduate or graduate level architecture course work)
-TOEFL score of 100 (Internet-based)
|Landscape Architecture||A portfolio may be requested after receiving the application; the file must be transferable by email (smaller than 50MB).|
|Education||If you want to participate in a teaching practicum, a criminal record check (from your local police authority) is mandatory. This requirement is the result of British Columbia legislation that requires a review of all candidates who will be working with children.|
|Music||A DVD or VHS audition tape. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org you have questions about the audition tape.|
|Visual Arts||A portfolio (CD or slides) of your work in the areas you would like to take courses (e.g., sculpture, painting).|