Course numbers and levels
Generally, courses at UBC are numbered as follows:
- 100: First-year
- 200: Second-year
- 300: Third-year
- 400: Fourth-year (final year of undergraduate degree)
- 500+: Graduate-level courses
At UBC, a full-time course load for undergraduate students varies depending on the faculty and degree program. The average UBC degree-student registers in 15 credits per term (100% of a full time course load), but some science and engineering students register in 18 to 20 credits per term.
We recommend that you register in 12 to 15 credits
Getting permission to take a restricted or full course
If you want to take a course that is full or restricted, you must first complete this Registration Form, have it signed and return it to Go Global.
Taking graduate-level courses
Undergraduate students wishing to take graduate-level courses are required to complete the Enrolment of Undergraduate Exchange Students in Graduate Courses form after arrival at UBC.
View more information about taking graduate-level courses under the Faculty of Graduate Studies section below.
Course and program restrictions
Many faculties, schools, and programs at UBC are available to visiting exchange students; however admission into some programs is limited. Further course information can be obtained on UBC's Course Schedule web page and on the faculty websites.
Faculties Not Avaliable to Exchange Students
- School of Audiology and Speech Sciences
- Faculty of Dentistry
- School of Journalism
- Faculty of Medicine
- School of Nursing
- Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- School of Rehabilitation Sciences
Admission into the following programs is limited:
- Faculty of Applied Science
- School of Architecture & Landscape Architecture
- Faculty of Arts
- School of Community and Regional Planning
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- School of Kinesiology
- Faculty of Law
- School of Library, Archival and Information Studies
- School of Music
- School of Population and Public Health
- Faculty of Science
- Sauder School of Business