New payment option
UBC now accepts Higher Ed Points, which means you can apply your TD or Aeroplan points toward your tuition and student fees.
Online payment options
Online bankingSet up online banking to pay your UBC tuition and fees like any other bill
To pay with online banking, you'll need a bank account at a Canadian financial institution. Add UBC as a bill payee and use your student number as the bill's account number.
Please note: Online banking is available for Housing or Food Services payments through HSBC and Bank of Montreal.
Payments will take 1-2 business days to process.
International Funds TransferPay your UBC fees from a foreign bank account, using your own currency
International Funds Transfers, processed through Western Union Business Solutions are secure and efficient and offer the following benefits:
- Competitive exchange rates
- No transaction fees from Western Union
- Locked-in exchange rate for 72 hours, removing much of the uncertainty around the total payment amount
- No Canadian bank account required
Making a payment
You can use International Funds Transfer to pay your tuition and student, residence and meal plan fees using your own currency from a foreign bank account.
Step 1: Initiate your payment quote online
- Log in to the Student Service Centre (SSC) and select the fees you want to pay
- Select International Funds Transfer to access the GlobalPay student platform
Step 2: Process payment
- Fill out the form with your details
- Enter the amount of Canadian Dollars to pay
- Select your payment currency*
- Finalize the transaction
- You will get a reference number locking in the exchange rate for 72 hours
Step 3: Bank transfer
- Take your payment confirmation form to your local bank to submit payment
- Your local bank will transfer funds to Western Union, who will send the funds to UBC
- Important: you must always initiate a new payment quote for each payment you will make - do not use the confirmation from a previous transaction for new payments
Step 4: Payment finalized
- Your student account will be updated after a minimum of 3 days
- If your account is not updated after a week, contact Western Union at email@example.com or toll free at 1.877.218.8829
For complete details and instructions, please refer to the Western Union fact sheet.
*If your local currency is not available, please select an alternative currency or CAD option. You will receive all of the benefits listed above including no banking charges from UBC or Western Union Business Solutions, quicker posting of payment to student account, and fully referenced payments.
Electronic funds transfer (EFT)Enter your banking details and pay through the Student Service Centre (SSC)
Bank transfer and EFT payments debit funds directly from your Canadian bank account.
- Log in to the Student Service Centre (SSC)
- Select Banking Details
- Enter and save your bank's institution, transit, and account numbers
- Pay your fees by selecting Pay Fees > Bank Transfer
Successful payments will be processed immediately.
Similar to a cheque, bank transfer and EFT payments may be returned by your financial institution due to:
- Insufficient funds or funds not available
- Incorrect account details
- The account doesn't have chequing privileges
- Closed account
If your payment is returned, the funds will be reversed out of your student account. This may result in your account being placed on financial hold, as well as being charged interest and a $35 hold fee.
Interac® OnlinePay with your bank card through the Student Service Centre (SSC)
Interac® Online is available for Canadian accounts at the following institutions:
- RBC Royal Bank
- TD Canada Trust
Log on to the Student Service Centre (SSC) and select Finances > Pay Fees > Interac.
- VISA debit Cards cannot be used with Interac® Online.
- Please confirm with your financial institution that your daily Interac® limit will be enough to cover your payment.
Successful payments will be processed immediately.
Higher Ed PointsUse loyalty points to pay your tuition fees
HigherEdPoints allow you to apply TD and Aeroplan reward points toward your tuition and fees. Sign up with HigherEdPoints and follow the steps for your loyalty program. Once you've completed the transfer, it will take about 3 days for the points to be applied to your student account.
Find detailed information and instructions at HigherEdPoints.com.
Cheque or debitPay by debit or cheque at Enrolment Services in Brock Hall
You can pay your tuition, student fees, and registration deposits in person at Enrolment Services in Brock Hall. Canadian or US cheques, and debit card payments are accepted.
We cannot accept cash payments in person. If you would like to pay by cash, please do so at any local HSBC branch provide your UBC student number as the account number.
Paying by cheque
- Make sure your cheque is correctly filled out, and that your student number is written on the front of the cheque on the memo line.
- Fill out a Tuition Fee Payment Form and attach it to your cheque (no post-dated cheques will be accepted).
- Payments received by cheque at Brock Hall will take 4 - 5 business days to process.
- Bring your cheque and payment slip to the Enrolment Services counters, or drop it in one of the secure tuition drop boxes.
If you are paying by cheque from a US bank account, staff will use the currency exchange rate information on the UBC Finance website, which is updated daily. Staff will calculate the appropriate amount upon payment.
Paying by debit
- Fill out a Tuition Fee Payment Form (available at the Information Centre) and bring it to the front counter for payment.
- Payment will be applied to your UBC account the following business day.
- Make sure your daily withdrawal limit is high enough to cover your payment. You can call your bank and request that they temporarily remove the limit on your account.
Cash or cheque at any HSBC branchYou don't need to be an HSBC Bank customer to pay your fees at a HSBC branch
You can pay your registration deposit or tuition fees by cheque or cash at any HSBC Bank Canada branch. Bring a Tuition Fee Payment Form with your payment.
HSBC in-person payments take 2 business to be processed.
- If you're paying cash, we recommend that you use Canadian dollars. Foreign currencies are accepted, but you'll pay a service fee and it will take 4 - 5 business days for your payment to be applied to your UBC account.
- If you have an HSBC account, you can pay tuition fees with online banking, or with cash or cheque at the teller. For more information about paying online through your account visit the HSBC website or call 1.888.310.4722.
The nearest HSBC Bank branch is located at 4480 West 10th Avenue at Sasamat Street. You can find more locations on the HSBC website.
You only need the tuition form only if you're paying at HSBC. You won't be required to submit a copy to UBC.
Scholarships and Passport to Education
ScholarshipsHow to claim your award
If you are a UBC scholarship recipient, most scholarship money will be automatically credited to your student account soon after the due date. As the system knows of any pending awards, you will not be penalized if your fees have not been paid by the due date. However, if your award amount is less than the total amount owed, you must pay the difference by the fee deadline to avoid late charges.
Scholarships do not count towards your registration deposit, so please make sure you pay your deposit in time to register.
If you're a Provincial Scholarship recipient, you'll need to come to Enrolment Services in Brock starting the first day of classes to get your scholarship voucher stamped. You can then mail the voucher to the Ministry of Education, who will mail you your cheque within 4-6 weeks. Because these scholarships aren't processed through UBC, you'll still be required to pay all of your outstanding fees by the tuition due date.
Passport to Education: for BC studentsBC students can use Passport to Education stamps toward their fees
Redeem your Passport to Education stamps to pay for a portion of your fees (BC students only). Bring your Passport to Enrolment Services in Brock Hall for processing. The value of the Passport will be applied toward your tuition fees.
Please bring your Passport one week before tuition is due to allow for processing time.
Please do not send your passport in the mail, as UBC will not accept responsibility for lost passports.
Sponsorship/Third-party billingInstructions for individuals and organizations who sponsor students
Some UBC students have a portion of their UBC fees paid by a sponsor such as an Aboriginal community, employer, or government agency. When UBC sends a bill for fees to sponsors this is called "third-party billing."
If you are a sponsored student, Enrolment Services can process tuition and student fee payments directly from your sponsor.
It is important that you and your sponsor understand what steps you both must take to ensure your fees are paid on your behalf. It is also important to be aware of what happens if your sponsor changes or withdraws their support.
Detailed information, dates, and instructions are available below:
If you have questions regarding your sponsorship, contact your sponsor directly. If your sponsor needs help with the application form, or they have billing questions, they can contact:
- Phone: 604.822.9858
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other payment options
Incoming wire transfer/depositDeposit money to your UBC account using wire transfer
The bank address for wire transfers is:
HSBC Bank Canada 016
885 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC, Canada V6C 3G1
Find required wire transfer information in the Student Service Centre (SSC) under 'Pay Fees'.
Wire transfer payments take 5 - 7 business days to process.
All foreign currency wires/deposits to the tuition deposit account will be converted to CAD funds at the current spot rate of exchange.
Cheque or money order by mailThis option is not recommended unless you have no other alternative
This option is not recommended unless you have no other alternative. Mail systems may be unpredictable; for this reason, deposit and tuition payment by mail should be a last resort for students who cannot use alternate payment methods.
To pay by mail, send a cheque (from a Canadian or US bank) or money order (in Canadian dollars), with your student number written on the front, payable to "The University of British Columbia" to:
Enrolment Services - Tuition Payment
The University of British Columbia
1874 East Mall
Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 1Z1
Please allow two to three weeks for processing. Do not send cash.
A completed Tuition Fee Payment Form must accompany tuition payments. Payment must reach the Enrolment Services by the due date. Download and complete this form only if you wish to mail in your tuition payment.
Tuition waiversEmployment benefits available to UBC staff and faculty
Tuition waivers are employment benefits available to UBC staff and faculty only.
Once your tuition waiver is approved by Financial Services, the waiver information will be electronically forwarded to Enrolment Services in Brock Hall in two to three business days. Enrolment Services will then apply the payment to your account.
As the waivers do not cover student fees, please ensure that you make a separate payment for them.
Payroll deduction or fee deferralFor students working as Teaching or Research Assistants at UBC
Payroll deduction and tuition fee deferrals are available to graduate students employed by UBC as Teaching or Research assistants.
You can find detailed information and instructions on how to apply on the Tuition Payroll Deduction/Fee Deferral Application Form.