English language requirements for coming to UBC on exchange

Accepted tests and requirements

All UBC courses are taught in English, with the exception of some language and literature courses offered in the Faculty of Arts.

If your first language is not English, you must take one of the exams below (unless this requirement has been waived in UBC's exchange agreement with your university). Check with your university's exchange office for more information. Tests taken more than two years before you apply for admission will not be considered.

Graduate programs

Many graduate programs at UBC require higher Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores than those listed below. If you are applying for graduate studies, please ensure that you meet the TOEFL scores listed in UBC's Academic calendar.

Test: Competency Level
CAEL –  Canadian Academic English Language assessment Overall 70

Cambridge English Qualifications

B2 First
C1 Advanced
C2 Proficiency

CEL - UBC Certificate in English  600
IELTS - International English Language Testing System (Academic) 6.5 with no part less than 6.0
PTE - Pearson Test of English (Academic) Overall score: 65
Reading: 60
Listening: 60
Writing: 60
Speaking: 60
TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language
Internet-based test
Overall score: 90
Reading: 22
Listening: 22
Writing: 21
Speaking: 21
TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language
Institutional Testing Report (ITP)
No longer accepted