Studying Engineering at UBC on exchange (CIE)

Studying at UBC on exchange under Coordinated International Experience (CIE) agreement

Guidelines for prospective CIE students

  1. Students must be nominated by the home universities to UBC on exchange for the CIE program. Please see the list below for universities that have a CIE Engineering-specific agreement.
  2. CIE students are expected to select the majority of their courses in the Faculty of Applied Science (Engineering) at UBC. CIE students who have the required course pre-requisites (if any stated in the Academic Calendar) will receive priority in Applied Science courses. Spaces in courses for CIE students outside the Faculty cannot be guaranteed and are dependent on availability.
  3. Go Global will collect CIE students’ final course requests through an emailed online survey link in late April or early May.
  4. CIE student course registration will be done by either the Faculty of Applied Science or the Go Global office. CIE students are not able to register themselves in courses.
    • The Faculty of Applied Science will assist CIE students with engineering course registration requests in July and August. It is important to note that specific engineering course registration is not guaranteed and dependent on the CIE student meeting course pre-requisites (if any) and space availability.  
    • If a CIE student requests courses in other faculties (outside of Applied Science - Engineering), the Go Global office will manage the course registration taking into consideration course pre-requisites, restrictions and course size limitations. Registration in other faculty courses will be done after engineering course registration is complete.

Universities with CIE engineering-specific agreements

  • Monash University         
  • University of Melbourne         
  • University of Queensland         
  • University of New South Wales         
  • University of Sydney         
  • Delft University of Technology    
  • École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne
  • ETH Zurich
  • Technical University of Denmark
  • Technical University of Munich
  • University of Glasgow
  • Nanyang Technological University

Application, dates and practical info

Not from a university partner?

Visiting, Unclassified, and Access Studies students are part of Non-Degree Studies, which is for students taking UBC courses without pursuing a UBC degree.

Non-degree studies is an option if you:
  • You have already completed a degree
  • You are completing an undergraduate degree at another institution
  • You want to take courses for general interest outside of a degree program

Visit Non-Degree Studies content for more information and to find out how to apply.


Wendy Kang

Email enquiries + drop-in advising

When emailing us, please include:
  • Your student number in the subject line
  • Your full name and if you are an incoming or outgoing exchange student in the body of the email
Drop-in advising

Mon: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Tue: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Wed: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm

Wendy Kang

Incoming Exchange Advisor

Go Global

Telephone: 604 822 0942

International House
1783 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2