Studying as a graduate student at UBC on exchange

Guidelines for prospective students


Before applying to do graduate studies at UBC, please check the Faculty of Graduate Studies website to see if you meet their minimum requirements. Many departments also have higher TOEFL requirements for graduate students.

Students who intend to conduct research while on exchange must have a UBC faculty member ready to supervise their time at UBC prior to completing their online application.

Classifying as a graduate student 

Students who have already completed an undergraduate degree may be considered graduate students at UBC. There is limited availability in graduate-level courses.

Classification as a graduate student at your home university does not necessarily mean that you will be considered a graduate student at UBC.

Restrictions for incoming exchange students 

Please note that Economics, Business, Psychology, Health Sciences, Community and Regional Planning, and Anthropology courses are not available to exchange students at the graduate level.

Undergraduate students taking graduate-level courses 

Undergraduate students wishing to take graduate-level courses are required to complete the following form, after arrival at UBC.

Application, dates and practical info

Not from a university partner?

Visiting, Unclassified, and Access Studies students are part of Non-Degree Studies, which is for students taking UBC courses without pursuing a UBC degree.

Non-degree studies is an option if you:
  • You have already completed a degree
  • You are completing an undergraduate degree at another institution
  • You want to take courses for general interest outside of a degree program

Visit Non-Degree Studies content for more information and to find out how to apply.


Go Global Inbound Exchange Team

Email enquiries + drop-in advising

When emailing us, please include:
  • Your student number in the subject line
  • Your full name and if you are an incoming or outgoing exchange student in the body of the email
Drop-in advising

Mon: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Tue: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Thurs: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm

Go Global Inbound Exchange Team

Telephone: 604 822 0942

UBC Life Building
1001 - 6138 Student Union Boulevard
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1