How to apply as a VIRS

Steps to apply

Please note: as of May 8, 2018, there is an new application process for VIRS at UBC.

If you are eligible to apply as a VIRS student, we need to receive your completed application at least eight weeks prior to the planned start date for the research. It may take up to one month for VIRS applications to be reviewed and for you to receive your Letter of Acceptance which you will need to apply for relevant immigration documents (Canadian visa and/or study permit).

Note that processing times for Canadian visas and study permits vary depending on your location.

Any changes to the start or end dates of your research must be reported to Go Global in order to ensure your Letter of Acceptance is accurate and that you have proper insurance coverage.

  1. Download and save the VIRS Approval Form (.pdf) onto your computer
    1. Complete the form and obtain all the required signatures.
    2. Save the Approval Form in PDF or JPEG format.
  2. Complete the VIRS Initial Application online (survey) and upload the Approval Form where indicated.
  3. Proceed to the next step and apply for a UBC Student ID Number (you will only receive the link to this form after successfully submitting the VIRS Initial Application).
  4. Create your Campus Wide Login (CWL) account using the student number you will receive after submitting the online application. *A Campus Wide Login (CWL) will allow you to access the Student Service Centre (SSC), where you will be able make fee payments. 
  5. The VIRS Program Fee ($415) will be charged to your account about one week after you obtain your UBC Student ID Number.
    1. Pay the assessed to your Student Service Centre (SSC) account.After you pay your fee, eligible students will receive their UBC Letter of Acceptance by email within 10 business days,
  6. Apply for the appropriate immigration document (for example, study permit and/or Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), if applicable) using the Letter of Acceptance.
    Check out "How to apply for an initial study permit as a VIRS", and see processing times for various immigration document applications on the Government of Canada website. Please note:
    1. Students engaged in research lasting six months or longer require a study permit.
    2. Students engaged in research lasting less than six months are advised to apply for a study permit, but may complete their research under visitor status.

FAQs + How to apply for a study permit

Resources for coming to UBC


Mathew Lyle

Email enquiries + advising appointments

When emailing us, please include your full name and student number in the subject line.

Mathew Lyle

VIRS Advisor

Go Global

Telephone: 604 822 0942

UBC Life Building
1001 - 6138 Student Union Boulevard
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1