Yes! = yes when it's enthusiastic, freely given, and current
You're dating = treat them right, ask every time
Silence = nope
A 'maybe' or hesitation = nope
Intoxicated (even a little) = not happening, get them pizza instead
Unconscious or sleeping = definitely not... make sure they're okay
Consent is enthusiastic, freely given, and can be revoked at any time
Consent is a part of healthy and fun sexual communication.
Want to learn more about how to practise consent? Check out the available workshops.
6 things to know about consent
Can not be assumed or implied from silence or the absence of 'no.' There is no consent if the person doesn't reply.
- Cannot be given if a person is affected by alcohol or drugs, or is unconscious. There is no consent if someone is impaired, incapacitated, asleep, or passed out.
- Cannot be obtained through threats or coercion. There is no consent if the person is manipulated, pressured, or threatened.
- Cannot be obtained if someone abuses a position of trust, power, or authority. There is no consent if someone uses a position of power or authority to get someone to engage in unwanted sexual activity.
- Is revocable at any time. Consent does not exist if someone has said 'yes,' but then says 'no' later with words or body language.
- Does not exist if someone has said 'no' with words or body language.
What people are saying
Let's Be Good to Each Other
You play a role in making this campus an awesome, safe, and caring place. Respect others and treat them the way they want to be treated. We're all connected, so let's be good to each other.