Cultural identity is one of the core competencies in Waverley Elementary School’s curriculum. The goal of the school is to increase knowledge, acceptance, empathy, awareness and appreciation of traditions and cultures in the school community and beyond. Through a multicultural festival, students ranging from Kindergarten to Grade 5 will have the opportunity to experience various cultural activities to help connect with each other and their sense of place. The festival consists of approximately 10 one-hour activities that take place over 3 days, as well as celebrations to mark the opening and closing of the festival.
Waverley Elementary School
About the project
What you will do
- Work collaboratively with student leaders and team members
- Facilitate interactive activities with support from teachers
- Foster appreciation and respect for all cultures of the world
- Be familiar with the many cultures that will be explored through the various activities (training and de-briefing on the activities will be provided before Reading Week)
- Create a safe and enjoyable learning environment for students
- Role-model responsible and respectful behaviour in the classroom
- Enthusiasm and interest in working with students in Kindergarten - Grade 5
- Willingness to learn about world cultures and celebrate all experiences and abilities
- Act as an effective role model for students and team members
- Imaginative, creative, open-minded, willing to take risks
- Adapt to new experiences with a positive mindset
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Exercise tact and discretion to manage potentially difficulty situations
- Knowledge of a second language would be an asset (e.g. Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Vietnamese, etc.)
|Register now||More projects|
As a Reading Week student leader, you will be volunteering at Waverley Elementary School (6111 Elliott Street, Vancouver, BC).
If you have questions
Contact the Centre for Community Engaged Learning about community-based opportunities, programs, and resources.
All in-person services and events have been suspended until further notice.