Science World British Columbia is a not-for-profit organization that engages British Columbians in science and inspires future science and technology leadership throughout our province. Super Science Club (SSC) is an innovative after-school program that provides science and technology educational activities to students in Grades 1 - 7 attending inner-city schools. Science World's primary goal with this program is to inspire at-risk children to be inquisitive about the world around them, and to develop a long-term interest in science and technology. Read more about Science World - SSC.
Science World - Super Science Club
About the organization
What you'll do
Super Science Club Facilitator
- Assist lead facilitators in delivery of the Super Science Club Program and represent Science World with enthusiasm
- Provide students with a fun, awesome, wow, memorable, “out of home” hands-on science experience
- Lead science activities for grade 1 – 7 students
- Practice general classroom management
- Prepare and clean up all materials and resources required to deliver program
- Document and report session activities in online forum
- Contribute collaboratively to the constant improvement of the program
- You’ll start small and work your way up to larger responsibilities. By the second term, you will be prepared to lead sessions yourself!
What you’ll get out of this experience
Learn how to make science fun and accessible
Understand the ropes of classroom management and develop skills as a program leader
Work with inner-city youth and become a role model
Learn how to plan engaging and effective activities and sessions
Learn skills in communication, organziation, crtiical thinking, and teamwork
Must get a vulnerable sector criminal record check
Must have some experience working with children in an after-school setting
Must be able to allocate at least 1 hour per week for preparation
Attend a mandatory orientation session (on the first day of your placement)
Must be self-motivated, flexible, enthusiastic, responsible and able to perform before audiences of varying size and composition
Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills are a necessity
Must possess a keen interest in science & hands-on education
Experience working with children in an after school setting
Must be available one afternoon each week (Mondays to Thursdays) from 1:30pm-5:30pm
Expect to start your community placement soon after training
Monday - Thursday, 1:30 – 5:30pm (program from 3:15 – 4:30)
Wednesday & Thursday, 2:30 – 5:30 (program from 3:15 – 5:00) + prep time
Grandview Elementary School
2055 Woodland St.
Vancouver, V5N 3N9
Sir Guy Carleton Elementary School
Vancouver, V5R 5K4
Florence Nightingale Elementary School
2740 Guelph St.
Vancouver, V5T 3P7
Hastings Elementary School
2625 Franklin St.
Vancouver, BC Canada V5K 3W7
Mount Pleasant Elementary School
2300 Guelph St.
Vancouver, V5T 3P1
Lord Roberts Elementary School
1100 Bidwell St.
Vancouver, V6G 2K4
Queen Alexandra Elementary School
1300 E. Broadway
Vancouver, V5N 1V6
Lord Strathcona Elementary School
592 E. Pender St.
Vancouver, V6A 1V5
Thunderbird Community Centre
2311 Cassiar St
Vancouver, V5M 3X3