How to apply: Exchange, Research + Study Abroad
Application overview - 3 steps
You might need to come in for a short interview (15 to 20 minutes) if you chose a high-demand unversity. Demand is determined once Go Global's received all the applications. You'll be emailed shortly after the application date if you're required to have an interview.
Starting an online application
Students can start an online application and follow the steps through "Gateway", our online application program. In Gateway, you'll be asked to submit a list of supporting documents. If you've already started an application through Gateway, you can resume your application from where you left off at any time.
Complete and submit supporting documents by the application deadline. Refer to the section below regarding supporting documents.
The Go Global fee ($415.00), required for all applicants, will be posted to your tuition account 1-3 weeks after the application deadline has passed.
Start an online application
Supporting documents for your exchange application
|Required for||Supporting document|
|All students *Fill out the online form and "save as" to your computer to keep your changes.|
|Students in first-year, or transfer programs (if participating in any full-year courses)|
|Students doing coursework in any Chinese dialect for UBC CHIN transfer credit||Online Chinese placement exam|
Tips and tools: Applying for exchange, research, and study abroad
- Check to see if you’re eligible to go.
- Can I afford it? How to budget for exchange, research, and study abroad.
- Visit our Resource Library to browse our collection of international student handbooks, course catalogues and departmental overviews.
- See what credits have been transferred back to UBC in the "Courses + Transfer credits" section of the individual partner page.
- Talk to your faculty advisor about your degree requirements
- Use the study plan tool to map out the courses you need for graduation and how exchange fits into that (exchange and study abroad).
Applying for Research Abroad
Review your options for participating in Research Abroad on this site.
If you're not sure which pathway is the best for you visit a Go Global Advisor during drop in hours.
- Once you've reviewed the application process for your pathway begin your application for your research experience on Gateway: Apply
Paying the Go Global Fee
The Go Global Fee ($415.00) is an administrative fee required for all applicants to Go Global exchange and summer abroad programs*. The fee will be posted to your SSC tuition account 1 -3 weeks following the application deadline and will be due approximately 2 weeks later. You will be notified of the due date by email once the fee is posted.
Please see the Enrolment Service’s page on making payments to your tuition account.
Go Global Refund Policy
To receive a refund from Go Global, you must withdraw by e-mail to your Go Global advisor by the applicable refund deadline. Students learning abroad for summer programs must withdraw by March 30th to receive a refund. Students learning abroad in Term 1 or Full-Year must withdraw by June 30th to receive a refund. Students learning abroad in Term 2 or Split Year must withdraw by September 30th to receive a refund.
You are eligible for a refund of $321.75 if:
- You have applied to Go Global but do not meet our minimum eligibility requirements
- Go Global cannot match you to a partner university
- The partner university does not accept your application and Go Global cannot find another option
You will receive a refund of $93.25 if you withdraw from the program in writing before the set deadlines for reasons other than those stated above.
Please consult with your Go Global advisor if you have any questions.
Monday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Tuesday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Thursday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
You might not need to see an advisor. General questions about the Go Global Exchange process can be answered at the Main Office at the UBC Life Building (Vancouver).