How to apply: Exchange, Research + Study Abroad
Application overview - 3 steps
You might need to come in for a short interview (15 to 20 minutes) if you chose a high-demand unversity. Demand is determined once Go Global's received all the applications. You'll be emailed shortly after the application date if you're required to have an interview.
Starting an online application
Undergraduate students can start an online application and follow the steps through "Gateway", our online application program. In Gateway, you'll be asked to submit a list of supporting documents. If you've already started an application through Gateway, you can resume your application from where you left off at any time.
The Go Global fee ($407.00) can be paid through the Student Service Centre (SSC). Please note that the fee will not be posted until after the Go Global deadline has passed.
Complete and submit supporting documents by the application deadline. Look at the section below.
Start an online application
Supporting documents for your exchange application
|Required for||Supporting document|
|All students *Fill out the online form and "save as" to your computer to keep your changes.|
|Students in first-year, or transfer programs (if participating in any full-year courses)|
|Students doing coursework in any Chinese dialect for UBC CHIN transfer credit||Online Chinese placement exam|
Tips and tools: Applying for exchange, research, and study abroad
- Check to see if you’re eligible to go.
- Can I afford it? How to budget for exchange, research, and study abroad.
- Visit our Resource Library to browse our collection of international student handbooks, course catalogues and departmental overviews.
- See what credits have been transferred back to UBC in the "Courses + Transfer credits" section of the individual partner page.
- Talk to your faculty advisor about your degree requirements
- Use the study plan tool to map out the courses you need for graduation and how exchange fits into that (exchange and study abroad).
Applying for Research Abroad
Review your options for participating in Research Abroad on this site.
If you're not sure which pathway is the best for you visit a Go Global Advisor during drop in hours.
- Once you've reviewed the application process for your pathway begin your application for your research experience on Gateway: Apply
Paying the Go Global Fee
The Go Global Fee is $407.00 and will be posted to your SSC account after the Application Deadline and will be due within 5 days of the fee being posted on your SSC account. You will be contacted by Go Global once the fee has been posted to your SSC and prompted to make the payment. Payment of this fee is made through the Student Service Centre (SSC). Once your fee is posted to the SSC account, the methods available to make payment are:
- Interac Online (Scotiabank, Royal Bank, TD Canada Trust, BMO)
- Electronic Funds Transfer (all other Canadian financial institutions) please note: this account MUST have chequing privileges; you can check this with your financial institution
You will not be able to make payment in-person at Brock Hall (Vancouver), University Centre (Okanagan), the Go Global office or your financial institution. You cannot pay this fee directly through your financial institution’s online banking interface as payments made through this method will only be counted towards your tuition and your Go Global fee will remain unpaid.
Go Global refund policy
To receive a refund from Go Global, you must withdraw by e-mail to your Go Global advisor by the applicable refund deadline. Students learning abroad in Term 1 or Full-Year must withdraw by June 30th to receive a refund. Students learning abroad in Term 2 or Split Year must withdraw by September 30th to receive a refund.
You are eligible for a refund of $315.50 if:
- You have applied to Go Global but do not meet our minimum eligibility requirements
- Go Global cannot match you to a partner university
- The partner university does not accept your application and Go Global cannot find another option
You will receive an $91.50 refund if you withdraw from the program in writing before March 30 for reasons other than those stated above.
Please consult with your Go Global advisor if you have any questions.
Monday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Tuesday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Thursday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
You might not need to see an advisor. General questions about the Go Global Exchange process can be answered at the Main Office at International house (Vancouver).
If you’re looking for more information on where you can go, please visit our Resource Library located on the top floor of the International House. Here you can freely browse our collection of material sent from partner universities including international student handbooks, course catalogues and departmental overviews.