The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g., application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)
- Previously known as the People's University of China (est.1937) - first university to be established by the newly founded People's Republic of China
- Consistently scores in top 20 in China/Asia in various world university ranking systems (Times Higher Ed 2013; Chinese University Alumni Association 2013:QS World University Rankings 2013, Academic Rankings of World Universities – Greater China)
- 23 schools of different disciplines, 14 inter-disciplinary research centers, 16 transitional centers for post-doctoral fellows, and also a School of Continuing Education, a School of Education and Training, the Shenzhen Research Institute, and International College (Suzhou Research Institute)
- Since 2001, RUC has received nearly 200 provincial or ministerial research awards
- Ranks first in China with respect to the total number of projects secured from the National Social Sciences Foundation or the Key Projects on National Strategy in Humanities and Social Sciences from the Ministry of Education
- Has undertaken 422 national social science projects commissioned by the Ministry of Education and 79 Beijing municipal philosophy and social science programs
- Robert Mondell, Nobel Prize winner - awarded the title of honorary professor
- J.C. Harsanyi and Robert Mundell, Nobel Prize winners - awarded an honorary Ph.D. degree by RUC
Partner university's areas of study
Notes on Language of Instruction
- Classes taught in English are available during the international summer school session
- Regular term classes are taught in Mandarin
- Some graduate level English classes available
ELIGIBILITY AND TIMING
Who can go?
- Only students from Faculty of Arts (UBCV) and the Faculty of Arts and Science (UBCO) may apply
- Fall Semester: Beginning of September to Mid-January
- Spring Semester: Mid-February to End of June
- International Summer School: Beginning of July to End of July
Course equivalency formula
- 20 Renmin Credits = 15 UBC Credits
- 90-100 A
- 86-89 A-
- 83-85 B+
- 80-82 B
- 76-79 B-
- 73-75 C+
- 70-72 C
- 66-69 C-
- 63-65 D+
- 60-62 D
Credit transfer process
* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.
Type of Go Global Experiences
Course information and restrictions
Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university
Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.
* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.
- 15 credits or equivalent full-time program fee per term, paid to UBC
- For the summer program, you will pay UBC for the number of credits you choose to enroll in
Scholarships + awards
- The Chinese Government, in collaboration with the Ministries of Advanced Education and Education, is offering scholarships for eligible B.C. students to study abroad, in order to strengthen mutual understanding and friendship between the Chinese people and people around the world
- Full and partial scholarships are offered to successful applicants to study in China (B.C. high school graduates, post-secondary students and scholars wishing to participate in Chinese language studies, academic study at the undergraduate or graduate level, or research are eligible to apply)
- Language of instruction is primarily Chinese, however, the program may sponsor and recommend remedial Chinese language studies for applicants who are not applying for the Chinese language study program
- Eligibility criteria, application forms and procedures and further information about the Chinese Government Scholarship can be found here (for further information on scholarships offered by Renmin University, see their website)
The Go Global award $1000
All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.
Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.
Information for US students
If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ forFederal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.
If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.
If you attend an ineligible institution:
- You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
- You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
- You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
- You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.