The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g., application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- University's name comes from the book Yi Jing: literally, 'Jiao' means unite and 'Tong' means harmony - in the book it is said that "when heaven and earth unite in deep harmony, peace and blessing descend upon all living things; when leaders and people unite and combine their influences, the nation enjoys universal flowering and prosperity"
- A dynamic and comprehensive university for excellent education, cutting-edge scientific research and social service
- 37,452 students (over 5,900 are international)
- 31 schools (departments), 63 undergraduate programs, 250 masters-degree programs, 203 Ph.D. programs, 28 post-doctorate programs, and 11 state key laboratories and national engineering research centers
- Staff and faculty include: 40 academics of the Academy of Sciences and Academy of Engineering, 95 accredited professors and chair professors of the "Cheung Kong Scholars Program," 2,000+ professors and associate professors
- Old tradition/slogan: "high starting points, solid foundation, strict requirements and extensive practice"
Partner university's areas of study
Notes on Language of Instruction
- Please see the list of Programs in English
ELIGIBILITY AND TIMING
Who can go?
- Recommended to Asian Studies students and students interested in improving their Mandarin Chinese
- Semester 1: Early September - Late January
- Semester 2: Early February - Mid July
- For summer programs offered, see: Shanghai Jiao Tong University Antai Global Summer School
- Research opportunities available at this university: see SJTU - International Summer Research Internship Program page
Course equivalency formula
- Same as UBC credits
Credit transfer process
* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.
Type of Go Global Experiences
Course information and restrictions
- Commerce students may take courses from Antai College of Economics and Management
- Students wishing to take Mandarin will take courses from the School of International Education
- Chinese language courses are not included in exchange, but can be taken on a fee-paying basis (2 awards available from SJTU to cover the cost of these courses - please indicate in your application if you would like to be considered for this award)
- This information is subject to change - when selecting courses, ensure that they are available in the semester for which you are applying
Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university
Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.
* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.
- 15 credits or equivalent full-time program fee per term, paid to UBC
- Summer students attend through our exchange agreement and pay tuition to UBC based on the number of credits earned at the partner institution
- Other summer program fees paid directly to the partner
- Language Courses are not part of the exchange agreement - extra fees may apply
Scholarships + awards
- General Scholarship Information
- New scholarship available through the Chinese Government, in collaboration with the Ministry of Education, for eligible BC students to study abroad (Further information can be found here)
The Go Global award $1000
All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.
Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.
Information for US students
If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ forFederal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.
If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.
If you attend an ineligible institution:
- You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
- You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
- You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
- You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.