The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g., application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)
Universidad de Santiago de Compostela
- Founded in the 1600s
- Final destination of the Pilgrims Road, a route that attracts people from all over the world
- Located located half an hour from the sea
- Specialized in Spanish language and culture education
- Santiago is the capital of a region with six natural parks and the Atlantic Islands national park
- The city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Partner university's areas of study
Notes on Language of Instruction
- Students are given a language placement test upon arrival in Spain and are placed in the appropriate course level
- For this reason, it cannot be guaranteed that the student will obtain 2nd year level Spanish
ELIGIBILITY AND TIMING
Who can go?
- Exchange students can take coursework in most areas of study
- Term 1: October to December
- Term 2: January to May
- Summer: June to August
Course equivalency formula
- For every two weeks of class, a student will receive 3 UBC credits of SPAN (either upper or lower level credit depending on the level of course taken at Santiago de Compostela)
Credit transfer process
* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.
Type of Go Global Experiences
Course information and restrictions
- Typically students take summer abroad, term 1, or term 2 Spanish language & culture courses from the Cursos Internacionales department
- Please visit the Summer Spanish Language Course page for a detailed breakdown of USC-UBC course equivalencies
Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university
Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.
* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.
- Students who are nominated to USC will pay tuition directly to USC (instead of to UBC)
- For tuition costs, please visit the USC Cursos Internacionales website
Scholarships + awards
The Go Global award $1000
All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.
Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.
Information for US students
If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ forFederal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.
If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.
If you attend an ineligible institution:
- You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
- You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
- You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
- You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.
Types of accommodation available
- During July and August, USC has rooms available at the University Dorms
- Accommodation will be available from the day prior to the start of a course until the day on which it finishes (generally, from Sunday afternoon until Saturday morning)