The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g., application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)
University of Oslo
- Norway's largest and oldest institution of higher education
- Founded in 1811 when Norway was still under Danish rule
- 30,000 students and 5,800 employees
- Offers unique courses such as Asian and African Studies, Development Studies (Peace and Conflict Studies) and Political Science
- Almost all faculties are open to exchange students, and qualified undergrads may be eligible to take courses at a Masters Level
- Oslo has about 540 000 inhabitants, but the whole area is home to about one million people
- Oslo is the capital and largest city of Norway, and the third largest city of Scandinavia
- The history of the city can be traced back over 1000 years as Oslo has become the demographic, economic and political centre of Norway
Partner university's areas of study
Notes on Language of Instruction
- Courses offered in English and Norwegian
ELIGIBILITY AND TIMING
Who can go?
- Exchange students can take coursework in most areas of study
- Semester 1: Early August to Late December
- Semester 2: Early January to Late June
- Orientation week offered each semester for new international students
Course equivalency formula
- ECTS credits divided by 2 = UBC credits
Credit transfer process
* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.
Type of Go Global Experiences
Course information and restrictions
- Courses not available to exchange students include: Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy
Full course load information
- 30 ECTS per semester
Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university
Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.
* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.
- 15 credits or equivalent full-time program fee per term, paid to UBC
- For the summer program, tuition and other fees, aside from the application fee, are paid directly to the partner
- Some exceptions may apply
Scholarships + awards
The Go Global award $1000
All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.
Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.
Information for US students
If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ forFederal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.
If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.
If you attend an ineligible institution:
- You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
- You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
- You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
- You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.
Types of accommodation available
- Exchange students are in principle guaranteed housing (single room) provided they apply online by the given deadline