Apply to your host university

After you are nominated by Go Global

Application timeline

Some time after Go Global has selected you for exchange and matched you to a partner university, you must apply for admission to your host university.

  • Term 1 and Full-year programs
    If you are applying for Exchange for Winter Term 1 or a full year, your application process starts in the Spring. 
  • Term 2 and Split-year programs
    If you are applying for Exchange for Winter Term 2 or for a split-year program, your application process starts in the late Summer and Fall.  
  • Summer Abroad programs
    If you are applying for a Summer Abroad program, your application process starts in the Winter or Spring.

Host university application instructions

In the weeks or months after Go Global has notified you of which partner university you've been matched to, you will receive the details about completing the partner application. The partner application is what you will submit to your host university, which they will use to register you for your exchange. 

Your host university may contact you directly with detailed application instructions.

Some partner universities request online applications, while others require paper applications. If paper copies are required, submit paper documents to Go Global, who will mail them to your host university on your behalf. Do not send any paper application materials directly to the partner.

UBC transcripts for your application

Most partners will require you to submit your official university transcripts.

Go Global will order your UBC transcripts for you and upload them to your online application under "Transcript & Partner Application". You must download it and include it with your application to your host university.

If you are a transfer student from another post-secondary institution, you will need to submit official transcripts from all of your previous institution(s).

Other supporting documents for your application

Every university has a different application process. While some may be as simple as completing one form, others may require additional documents such as:

  • Academic reference letters
    You should request these from a professor 3 weeks before you need them.
  • Resume (or CV)
    A basic resume is sufficient.
  • Statement of interest or motivation
    Include information about your intended areas of study, and reasons why you are looking forward to your exchange.
  • Proof of language ability
  • Photos
    This may include headshots.
  • Medical exams
  • Proof of funds
    An example may be a bank statement.
  • Proof of medical insurance
    If you are covered by the AMS/GSS Extended Health and Dental plan, you should request a letter from the Alma Mater Society (AMS).
  • Study plans or learning agreements 
  • Housing or residence application

It is your responsibility to prepare all documents required for the partner university application.

Email your Go Global advisor if you have questions about preparing your partner university application.

If anything needs to be physically mailed to your host university, please submit these to Go Global, who will mail it on your behalf.

Letter of acceptance

After you submit your application to your partner university, you will receive a Letter of Acceptance (also called a “confirmation of enrolment” or “letter of admission”) from the partner university. This letter may be sent directly to you or to Go Global. You may need this letter for visa or permit applications to travel and stay in your host country.

If you have not received this letter two months before the start of your exchange, email Go Global.