Students participating in an exchange pay tuition directly to UBC and not the partner institution in most cases. Students are required to take and pay for 15 UBC credits for each semester on exchange.
You may have a different timeline for paying your loans and different eligibility requirements when you go on exchange. Find more information on applying and receiving your loans.
Awards and scholarships
Go Global offers many International Learning Awards to help make your experience more affordable.
Go Global students remain registered at UBC – you can still qualify for scholarships and awards. This includes affiliation scholarships, and faculty- or department-specific awards.
Determining the cost of your exchange
Your financial requirements will vary depending on your individual goals, the cost of living in your host country, and your personal preferences.
Go Global is not able to provide you with a precise dollar amount. Only you can determine how much money you will need for exchange.
Tips for planning your budget
- See student reports to learn about other students' experience on their exchange
- Connect with other Go Global students using the student directory and ask how much it costs for day-to-day expenses cost such as food, laundry, transportation, and coffee
- Search travel guides and the web for travel tips
- Research the cost of living in your potential host country
- Consider your spending habits, your lifestyle preferences, your current expenses and how you like to travel for your lifestyle abroad
- Consider contacting a travel agent to help you determine some of your travel costs in advance