The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)
- Located in Guácimo, Limón, Costa Rica
- A private, international, non-profit university
- Dedicated to education in the agricultural sciences and natural resources in order to contribute to sustainable development in the tropics by seeking a balance between agricultural production and environmental preservation
- 400+ enrolled from 41 different countries
- Programs in Spanish and English
- Students engage in weekly field experiences, business operations, and a 3rd-year international internship, allowing them to test and build upon the knowledge they have been acquiring
Partner university's areas of study
Notes on Language of Instruction
- Majority of classes are taught in Spanish
- As of 2017, EARTH will offer a spring semester in English
ELIGIBILITY AND TIMING
Who can go?
- LFS and Forestry students only
- Term 1: Early September - Late December
- Term 2: Mid-January - Early May
- Summer: Mid May - Late July
- Summer program available: see EARTH University Sustainable Summer Sessions
Course equivalency formula
- 32 credit for two trimesters
- 49 for full year
Passing grade7 or A=Pass
Credit transfer process
* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.
Type of Go Global Experiences
Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university
Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.
* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.
- Cost per trimester is US$5467 USD and includes the following:
- Room and board, a minimum of 12 credit hours, participation in field trips, student guide, institutional services (library, bank, communications, gift shop, transportation EARTH to San Jose, laundry, medical services, 24 hour campus security, extensive grounds and parks, wireless connections, etc.)
- Amount does not include airline tickets, ground transportation from airport, airport transportation, personal expenses, international medical insurance, or Spanish tutoring
Scholarships + awards
The Go Global award $1000
All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.
Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.
Information for US students
If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.
If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.
If you attend an ineligible institution:
- You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
- You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
- You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
- You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.
Types of accommodation available
- Do not apply for housing prior to being matched by Go Global to EARTH university
- If you are successfully matched to EARTH, then you will receive instructions about housing and accommodations