Ecole Superieure d'Agricultures (ESA)

City: Angers
Language of instruction: English, French
  • Founded in 1898, ESA is a multidisciplinary private institution who welcomes 300 international students each year
  • located in western France, ESA is in the heart of the agricultural and agri-industrial region
  • 2500 students in 50+ study programs working with 110 French and international lecturer-researchers
  • 1st CFA (networked apprenticeship training centre) of the Pays de la Loire
  • offers wide range of courses in agriculture, viticulture, agribusiness, environmental studies and landscape management

Read student reports

Partner university's areas of study

ForestryLand and Food SystemsScience


Terms offered

Term 1Term 2Full year Term 1 + 2 (UBC Term 1 start)Split year Term 2 +1 (UBC Term 2 start)Summer

Who can go?

Only students within the Faculty of Land and Food Systems are eligible to apply to ESA

Term dates

Term 1: September to December

Term 2: January to Mid June

Summer program

ESA Terroir Driven Food System Summer Programme

Courses + Transfer Credits


Course equivalency formula

ECTS credits divided by 2 = UBC credits

Passing grade


Grading scheme

Grading in France is on a scale of 0 to 20

Each class is graded separately, and a minimum grade of 10 is required to pass a course

In addition to the grades obtained in the courses, students receive another grade according to the ECTS:

A = Excellent (the highest 10% of a class)

B = Very Good (the following 25%)

C = Good (the following 30%)

D = Satisfactory (the following 25%)

E = Sufficient (the last 10% of a class)

FX = Fail (passing level not obtained)

F = Fail (level considerably below passing)

Credit transfer process

The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)

For more information about Go Global transfer credit

Course Information

* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.

Type of Go Global Experiences

Exchange (pay UBC tuition)

Full course load information

30 ECTS = 15 UBC credits

Course options for exchange

Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university

Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.

* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.

No courses found.
Tuition, Fees and Awards

Scholarships + awards

The Go Global award $1000

All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.

Additional awards

Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.

Check out international learning awards and eligibility.

Information for US students

If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.

If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.

If you attend an ineligible institution:

  • You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
  • You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
  • You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
  • You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.
How to applyBack to UBCO