El Colegio de Mexico

City: Mexico City
Language of instruction: English, Spanish
  • Prestigious Mexican institute of higher education, specializing in teaching and research in the social sciences and the humanities
  • Considered one of Mexico's think tanks
  • Divided into "centros," equivalent to U.S. academic departments 
  • Boasts one of Mexico's richest libraries
  • Its journals and publications are among the most prestigious in the Spanish-speaking world
  • Main objective of the MSG-NA program is to create a group of young professionals and researchers endowed with a comparative and transnational vision of the processes that characterize the NAFTA region, in the hope that this vision will allow them to find innovative solutions to the challenges facing the three countries of North America
  • Students in the MSG-NA Mexico City program will benefit from the strengths at El Colégio de México in Environmental Studies, Migration Phenomenon, Mexico-US Border Administration, The Operation of Latin American Democracies, International Relations, and Economic History and Regional Trade Integration

Read student reports

Partner university's areas of study

ArtsLand and Food Systems


Terms offered

Term 1Term 2Full year Term 1 + 2 (UBC Term 1 start)Split year Term 2 +1 (UBC Term 2 start)

Who can go?

  • Recommended for undergraduate and graduate students interested in the study of the topics of mobility, society and governance in North America, who are studying courses in Social Sciences and the Humanities

Term dates

  • Semester 1: Early August to Late December
  • Semester 2: Early January to Mid June
Courses + Transfer Credits


Course equivalency formula

  • one course = 4.5 UBC Credits (TBC)

Credit transfer process

The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)

For more information about Go Global transfer credit

Course Information

* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.

Type of Go Global Experiences

Exchange (pay UBC tuition)Graduate research

Partner Course Information

Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university

Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.

* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.

No courses found.
Tuition, Fees and Awards

Exchange tuition

  • 15 credits or equivalent full-time program fee per term, paid to UBC
  • Some exceptions may apply

Scholarships + awards

The Go Global award $1000

All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.

Additional awards

Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.

Check out international learning awards and eligibility.

Information for US students

If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.

If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.

If you attend an ineligible institution:

  • You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
  • You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
  • You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
  • You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.

Types of accommodation available

How to applyBack to UBCO