International Christian University (ICU)

City: Mitaka
Language of instruction: English, Japanese
  • In March 1953, Japanese Ministry of Education authorized ICU as an incorporated educational institution
  • The College of Liberal Arts was the first four-year liberal arts college in Japan
  • Optional participation in moral and spiritual development through opportunities for inquiry, discussion, instruction and worship
  • Academic programs of the College of Liberal Arts and the Graduate School are individually chartered by the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
  • The College of Liberal Arts offers 31 Majors
  • Tokyo is the capital city of Japan and the most populous metropolis in the world
  • ICU Will offer free accommodation for 2 UBC students for the Spring 2022 semester

Read student reports

Partner university's areas of study

ArtsLand and Food Systems

Notes on Language of Instruction

  • Japanese proficiency required if taking regular classes
  • Students without previous knowledge of the Japanese language can apply through September Admissions
  • Those who are admitted will be trained in ICU Japanese Language Programs
  • English proficiency is required at the time of application


Terms offered

Term 2Full year Term 1 + 2 (UBC Term 1 start)

Who can go?

  • Only UBCV Faculty of Arts undergraduate or graduate students may attend

Term dates

  • Autumn term: Early September to end of November
  • Winter term: Early December to early March
  • Spring term: Early April to end of June


  • Those who have attended schools outside the regular Japanese educational system for at least the last two years prior to enrollment, and who possess sufficient English language proficiency in order to take college level courses in English are eligible to apply through September Admission
Courses + Transfer Credits


Course equivalency formula

  • 1 ICU Credit = 1 UBC Credit

Passing grade


Grading scheme

  • Most ICU courses count for either 2 or 3 credits
  • A student’s achievement is to be based on factors such as class participation and reports, as well as quizzes, tests, and examinations
  • Grades are fundamentally assigned in the five categories, A, B, C, D, and E, based on a scale of 100 points, with 60 points or above being evaluated as passing
    • A (4 points): 100-90 (Outstanding)
    • B (3 points): 89-80 (Commendable)
    • C (2 points): 79-70 (Satisfactory)
    • D (1 point): 69-60 (Minimal)
    • E (0 point): Below 60 (Failure)

Credit transfer process

The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)

For more information about Go Global transfer credit

Course Information

* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.

Type of Go Global Experiences

Exchange (pay UBC tuition)

Course information and restrictions

  • Courses from the ELA (english for liberal arts) program are restricted

Full course load information

  • Maximum: 18 units (academic load is 13 units per term); 
  • Minimum: 9 units (7 units, if you take a Japanese Language Program courses)
  • Each term consists of approximately 11 weeks, and the class hour (period) is 70 minutes
  • Basically, 11 weeks x one class period amount to 1 credit
  • It is assumed that students spend two class hours studying outside the class room, in preparation, review and homework, for each hour in class
  • Two-unit courses meet for two 70-minute periods per week, and three-unit course meet for three 70-minute periods or two 105-minute periods per week
  • Language, laboratory and exercise courses may meet more frequently for the same number of credits, and the Japanese Language Programs courses meet for either 8 or 15 periods

Partner Course Information

Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university

Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.

* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.

UBC Vancouver

UBC course: JAPN 4th
Title: Summer course in Japanese
Partner course code:
Language of instruction: Japanese
Evaluated date: 2019-09-06
UBC course: JAPN 4th
Title: Summer Courses in Japanese C4
Partner course code:
Language of instruction: Japanese
Evaluated date: 2019-09-06
Tuition, Fees and Awards

Exchange tuition

  • You will pay for 15 UBC credits per term abroad

Scholarships + awards

The Go Global award $1000

All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.

Additional awards

Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.

Check out international learning awards and eligibility.

Information for US students

If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.

If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.

If you attend an ineligible institution:

  • You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
  • You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
  • You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
  • You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.

Types of accommodation available


Housing notes

  • On-campus housing is available to all exchange students

Information on Accommodation

How to applyBack to UBCO