Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)

City: As
Language of instruction: English, Norwegian
  • Founded in 1859 as an agricultural school
  • 3 000 students
  • Beautiful campus
  • Leading institution in Norway for agriculture, food sciences, management and conservation of natural resources, and community planning and aquaculture
  • Much of Norway is dominated by mountainous or high terrain
  • Great variety of natural features caused by prehistoric glaciers and varied topography
  • West coast of southern Norway and coast of North Norway are among the most impressive coastlines in the world

Read student reports

Partner university's areas of study

ArtsForestryLand and Food SystemsScience

Notes on Language of Instruction


Terms offered

Term 1Term 2Full year Term 1 + 2 (UBC Term 1 start)

Who can go?

  • Students in Arts, Science, LFS and Forestry are eligible

Term dates

  • Semester 1: Mid August to Late December
  • Semester 2: Early January to Late June


  • Split year & Noragric Field Courses: Students wanting to complete a term in Tanzania or India, will first have to complete 30 ECTS credits in the Deptartment of International Environment and Development Studies (Noragric) in the spring term
    • The teaching period for the field courses is from August 1 - September 30th
    • Students complete a 15 ECTS credit course and then complete a 15 ECTS credit paper / research assignment
  • If you are interested in this opportunity, you will need to apply for a split year

Students applying for the Arctic Semester in Svalbard, please select the following program on the Go Global Gateway: "Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) - Svalbard Arctic Semester-Study"

Courses + Transfer Credits


Course equivalency formula

  • ECTS credits divided by 2 = UBC credits

Passing grade

E - Sufficient

Grading scheme

Credit transfer process

The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)

For more information about Go Global transfer credit

Course Information

* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.

Type of Go Global Experiences

Exchange (pay UBC tuition)

Course information and restrictions

  • Students going on the NORAGRIC field school must complete 60 ECTS with the NORAGRIC department while on exchange
  • Through NMBU, students can participate in a semester of Arctic studies at the University Centre in Svalbard.

Full course load information

  • 30 ECTS per semester

Partner Course Information

Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university

Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.

* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.

UBC Vancouver

Land and Food Systems
UBC course: GRS 497e
Title: State and Civil Society in Development and Environmental Governance in India
Partner course code: EDS 387
Language of instruction: English
Evaluated date: 2016-10-25
Tuition, Fees and Awards

Exchange tuition

  • 15 credits or equivalent full-time program fee per term, paid to UBC
  • Some exceptions may apply

Scholarships + awards

The Go Global award $1000

All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.

Additional awards

Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.

Check out international learning awards and eligibility.

Information for US students

If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.

If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.

If you attend an ineligible institution:

  • You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
  • You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
  • You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
  • You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.

Types of accommodation available


Housing notes

  • The student residences are centrally positioned on the university campus, in quiet, well-established areas within walking distance of local shops, banks, post-office, public-transport etc.
  • 579 rooms of which 528 are located in Pentagon, with the rest in Kaja

Information on Accommodation

How to applyBack to UBCO