RWTH Aachen University

City: Aachen
Language of instruction: English, German
  • Founded as a polytechnical institute (Polytechnikum) in 1870
  • One of the largest research environments in Europe
  • More than 280 companies work with research centres on campus, providing resources, exchanging knowledge and collaborating in future-proof innovations with students
  • 45% of students studying engineering
  • 25% of students studying natural sciences

Read student reports

Partner university's areas of study

EngineeringLand and Food SystemsScience

Notes on Language of Instruction

  • Majority of courses offered are taught in German
  • Students with at least B1 level may take German-taught classes (To determine your level, please self-assess with the European Language Portfolio Global Scale)


Terms offered

Term 1Term 2Full year Term 1 + 2 (UBC Term 1 start)

Who can go?

  • Engineering and Science students

Term dates

  • Winter Semester: October 1 to March 31
  • Summer Semester: April 1 to September 30


  • Students attending Winter Semester will not be able to return for Term 2 at UBC
  • Students attending Summer Semester will not be able to return for Term 1 UBC

Summer program

Courses + Transfer Credits


Course equivalency formula

  • ECTS credits divided by 2 = UBC credits

Credit transfer process

The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)

For more information about Go Global transfer credit

Course Information

* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.

Type of Go Global Experiences

Exchange (pay UBC tuition)Undergrad research

Course information and restrictions

  • Students will receive a "Schein" upon completion of each course (typical of German universities) - be sure to keep this for your records as you will be required to provide a copy to Go Global upon your return

Partner Course Information

Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university

Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.

* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.

No courses found.
Tuition, Fees and Awards

Exchange tuition

  • 15 credits or equivalent full-time program fee per term, paid to UBC
  • Some exceptions may apply

Scholarships + awards

  • DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) offers generous scholarships to students applying for exchange or research programs at German universities
    • Students must apply by January 31, and may apply for the funding before their acceptance to the exchange program is final with a letter from Go Global
    • See DAAD website for more information

The Go Global Award $1000

All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad travel programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.

Additional awards

Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.

Check out international learning awards and eligibility.

Information for US students

If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.

If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.

If you attend an ineligible institution:

  • You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
  • You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
  • You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
  • You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.

Types of accommodation available


Housing notes

  • Acceptance letter does not include a housing offer and does not guarantee you a room in the student dorms
  • Note that the housing market in Aachen is fairly tight due to high numbers of students - it is recommend that you begin looking for a room 2-3 months before classes

Information on Accommodation

How to applyBack to UBCO