Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU)

City: 30 different campuses in Sweden
Language of instruction: English, Swedish
  • 4 faculties: Faculty of Landscape Planning, Horticulture and Agricultural Science, Faculty of Natural Resources and Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Forest Sciences and Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science
  • 3 600+ undergraduates and 830 postgraduate students
  • Formed in 1977 through the joining together of three previously independent university colleges, the oldest one dating back to 1775
  • Now represented at around 30 locations throughout Sweden
  • Main campuses in Alnarp, Skara, Ultuna and Umeå
  • Opportunity to study agriculture and forestry in the very diverse ecosystems of Northern and Southern Sweden
  • SLU has multiple campuses across Sweden - exchange students usually go to one of the main campuses that are located in Alnarp, Skara, Ultuna, Umeå and Skinnskatteberg

Thinking of studying abroad in Sweden or Denmark? Learn some Danish or Swedish language at UBC before you go!
Or go deeper with a Scandinavian Minor!

Read student reports

Partner university's areas of study

ForestryLand and Food Systems

Notes on Language of Instruction

  • There are limited course offerings available in English


Terms offered

Term 1Term 2Full year Term 1 + 2 (UBC Term 1 start)

Who can go?

  • Only FRST and LFS students are eligible to apply to this partner university

Term dates

  • Semester 1: Late August to mid January
  • Semester 2: Mid January to early June


  • Students who wish to attend for Term 1 are expected to take courses from block 1 and 2, and therefore are unlikely to be able to return for Term 2 at UBC
Courses + Transfer Credits


Course equivalency formula

  • ECTS credits divided by 2 = UBC credits

Passing grade


Credit transfer process

The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)

For more information about Go Global transfer credit

Course Information

* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.

Type of Go Global Experiences

Exchange (pay UBC tuition)Graduate research

Course information and restrictions

  • FRST and LFS students may also be eligible to take courses in Economics and Business Administration, Environmental Sciences, Food Science and Agricultural Science, Landscape Architecture, Life Sciences, Horticulture, Animal Science and Biology

Partner Course Information

Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university

Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.

* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.

UBC Vancouver

UBC course: FNH 313
Title: Food microbiology
Partner course code: BI 1159
Language of instruction: English
Evaluated date: 2017-01-13
UBC course: MICB 306
Title: Virology
Partner course code: BI 1037
Language of instruction: English
Evaluated date: 2017-09-06
Tuition, Fees and Awards

Exchange tuition

  • 15 credits or equivalent full-time program fee per term, paid to UBC
  • Some exceptions may apply

Scholarships + awards

The Go Global award $1000

All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.

Additional awards

Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.

Check out international learning awards and eligibility.

Information for US students

If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.

If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.

If you attend an ineligible institution:

  • You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
  • You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
  • You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
  • You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.

Types of accommodation available


Housing notes

  • SLU helps all exchange students who apply in time to reserve accommodation, usually dormitories

Information on Accommodation

How to applyBack to UBCO