The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)
- One of the most prestigious universities in Japan
- Origins in the Meirin-yokendo, a medical school founded in Sendai in 1736
- First Japanese university to admit female students
- 10 faculties, 16 graduate schools, 3 professional graduate schools, an attached school, a university hospital, 6 research institutes, 11 inter-department institutes for education and research, and 11 university collaborating institutions
- Located in Sendai, the capital city of the Miyagi Prefecture, known for its parks and greenery, and the largest city in the Tohoku region
- One of Japan’s 20 designated cities, it has a population upwards of 1 million and is nicknamed is the ‘City of Trees’
Partner university's areas of study
ELIGIBILITY AND TIMING
Who can go?
- Students can take course work in most areas of study
- Spring Term: Early April - Mid August
- Fall Term: Early October - Mid February
Course equivalency formula
- 1 Tohoku Credit = 1.2 UBC Credit
Passing gradePass = 60
- AA (90-100)/A (80-89)
- B (70-79)
- C (60-69)
- D (below 59)
Credit transfer process
* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.
Type of Go Global Experiences
Course information and restrictions
- Students can choose from several course track options
- For detailed information, please visit the Tohoku Exchange website
Full course load information
- 13 Tohoku Credits is considered full time in most cases
- Please note that COLAB programs use ECTS credits
Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university
Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.
* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.
No courses found.
- Students pay for 15 UBC credits per term at Tohoku
- All tuition will be paid to UBC
Scholarships + awards
The Go Global award $1000
All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.
Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.
Information for US students
If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.
If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.
If you attend an ineligible institution:
- You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
- You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
- You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
- You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.
Types of accommodation available
- Exchange students are required to live in the university dormitories
- Tohoku University International House and University House Sanjo are available at reasonable rates (JPY 11,000-23,800/month, utilities fee are not included)
- Further information, see: International House and University House Sanjo