Tokyo University of Agriculture

City: Tokyo
Language of instruction: English, Japanese
  • Offers a unique, integrated approach to agricultural education
  • 10,000 students
  • 3 campuses: Setagaya in Tokyo, Atsugi in Atsugi City, Kanagawa Prefecture, and Okhotsk in Abashiri City, Hokkaido
  • UBC exchange students attend TUA at Setagaya (main campus) which houses the faculties of Applied Bio Sciences, Regional Environment Science, and the International Agriculture and Food Studies

Read student reports

Partner university's areas of study

Land and Food Systems

Notes on Language of Instruction

  • 26 specialized courses taught in English


Terms offered

Term 1Term 2Full year Term 1 + 2 (UBC Term 1 start)

Who can go?

  • LFS students only

Term dates

  • Semester 1: Mid September to Late March (UBC Fall Term)
  • Semester 2: Early April to Late August (UBC Spring Term)
  • When applying to Go Global, please select the UBC term(s) that you wish to be abroad


  • Note that applications in Japan are due early December

Summer program

Not applicable

Courses + Transfer Credits


Course equivalency formula

  • Same as UBC credits

Passing grade


Grading scheme

Not applicable

Credit transfer process

The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)

For more information about Go Global transfer credit

Course Information

* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.

Type of Go Global Experiences

Exchange (pay UBC tuition)Graduate research

Course information and restrictions

Not applicable

Full course load information

Not applicable

Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university

Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.

* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.

UBC Vancouver

Land and Food Systems
UBC course: APBI 4TH
Title: Agricultural Scientific English
Partner course code:
Language of instruction: English
Evaluated date: 2017-02-14
UBC course: APBI 4TH
Title: Agro-Environmental Engineering
Partner course code:
Language of instruction: English
Evaluated date: 2016-09-07
UBC course: fre 3rd
Title: Farmers and consumers in Japan
Partner course code:
Language of instruction: English
Evaluated date: 2017-02-08
Tuition, Fees and Awards

Exchange tuition

  • 15 credits or equivalent full-time program fee per term, paid to UBC
  • Some exceptions may apply

Scholarships + awards

  • Students with outstanding academic performance may be nominated  for the JASSO (Japan Student Services Organization) scholarship

The Go Global award $1000

All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.

Additional awards

Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.

Check out international learning awards and eligibility.

Information for US students

If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.

If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.

If you attend an ineligible institution:

  • You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
  • You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
  • You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
  • You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.

Additional fees

Not applicable


Housing notes

Not applicable

How to applyBack to UBCO