Transfer credits - Go Global

Preparing your Go Global application

In this section, you can find more information on how credits received while on Go Global study programs may transfer back to UBC in order to help you complete your application. Every student participating in a study program (exchange or study abroad) through Go Global is eligible to receive transfer credit for academic courses successfully completed abroad.

How will my credits transfer?

Credits taken abroad may be transferred in one of three ways:

  1. Unassigned faculty credit (e.g., ARTS, third-year)
  2. Unassigned department credit satisfying a general requirement (e.g., POLI, third-year)
  3. Specific course credit (e.g., PSYC 350)

Your program advisor will determine how the credit you complete abroad will be applied to your degree requirements.

Go Global transfer credit does not count toward the total amount of transfer credit allowed in your degree. They count as credit earned at UBC.

How many UBC credits can I transfer back?

Since many of our partner universities do not grant the same number of credits per course as UBC, a credit equivalency formula exists for each partner university. This can be found through the partner university search tool by university. This formula is used to calculate the total number of UBC credits that you can receive while abroad.

The maximum number of credits you can earn on term exchange is 15 UBC credits per term. This may vary by faculty, so it is recommended that you check with your faculty's academic advising office. For the summer session, the maximum credits vary by summer program. 

The minimum number of credits you need to be enrolled in are determined by your host institution. You also need to maintain minimum enrolment requirements for immigration purposes as well as loans or scholarship eligibility, where applicable.

For graduate students, please refer to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies transfer credit web page for information on transferring credits to UBC.

Please contact your faculty designate if you have questions about the number of credits that you can transfer.

What courses will transfer?

Unfortunately, not all courses meet the academic standard of UBC. If a course falls within the following categories and does not include any academic coursework, you may not be able to receive transfer credit for it:

  • Physical Education courses/ sports / activities (e.g. Kung Fu)
  • Research or internship programs
  • Field trips and sightseeing
  • English language learning courses where English is not the partner university's language of instruction
  • Non-credit courses (e.g. Continuing Studies or Extended Learning)

Ultimately, the faculty or department advisor evaluating each course will determine if a course will be granted transfer credit.

What courses should I take while abroad?

Students often take upper-level academic courses (e.g. courses that are equivalent to 300- and 400-level UBC courses), but lower-level academic courses can be taken as well. If you are attending a university that has three-year degree programs (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, and most countries in Europe), courses in the second year can transfer as upper-level UBC credit.

To find out what courses have been transferred to UBC, use the partner university search tool and the "Courses + Transfer Credits" section to see previously transferred courses by Faculty.

Can’t see the course you want to take or transfer? Don’t worry, new ones are added all the time as students take new courses at our partner universities.

How can I determine the year level of courses?

Consider the following criteria when choosing courses if you're uncertain what the year-level of the course(s) is:

  1. Does the course have any prerequisites? If there are none, it is likely a lower-level course.
  2. Is the course an "Introduction to" course? If so, it is likely a lower-level course.
  3. Does the course cover the subject at a very broad level without going into detail in a particular topic? If it does, it is likely a lower-level course.

Courses in the last year of a three-year degree program will often transfer as upper-level UBC credit. Ultimately, the faculty or department evaluating each course will determine the year level.

How many pass/fail credits can I take?

At some partner universities, students have the option to choose between receiving pass/fail credits or grades. Please see below for your Faculty’s policy on pass/fail credits.


If an Arts student chooses to receive pass/fail credit while on Go Global, the credit can only count towards elective credits. Pass/fail credits count towards the 12 maximum allowable credit/D/fail credits permitted in an Arts degree. For example, if a student already has 6 credit/D/fail credits on their UBC transcript, they may only take 6 pass/fail credits while on a Go Global study program. If pass/fail is the standard grading system at the partner university, there are no limitations to the courses taken under pass/fail.


COMM and COHR courses cannot be taken by pass/fail. Pass/fail credits obtained on a Go Global study program for non-business courses count towards the 12 maximum allowable credit/D/fail credits permitted in a Commerce degree. For example, if a student already has 6 credit/D/fail credits on their UBC transcript, they may only take 6 pass/fail credits while on exchange. If pass/fail is the standard grading system at the partner university, there are no limitations to the courses taken under pass/fail.

Other faculties

Please consult your Academic Advising office to learn more about pass/fail credits.

Faculty Designates

Do you need help planning which courses to take while on a Go Global study program? The following designates from each faculty are available to provide advice to students from specific programs about meeting academic requirements.

Faculty Designate Contact Information
Land and Food Systems

Landscape Architecture, Urban Design and Environmental Design
Sauder School of Business

Submitting transfer credits while abroad

Once you have finalized your course registration at the partner university (i.e. after the partner university’s add/drop deadline) you can submit your courses for evaluation in the Transfer Credit Portal. Students should use the Transfer Credit Portal to:

  • Submit a new request to evaluate course(s)
  • Track the progress of your course evaluation
  • Download a PDF of your transcript from the partner university once it has been received
  • Find faculty and/or department specific information on submitting your transfer credit

Download Sample Syllabus

How do I use the Transfer Credit Portal?

To minimize the time it takes to process your transfer credits complete the following steps:

  1. Review the two tutorial videos above.
  2. Log into the Transfer Credit Portal with your CWL.
  3. Review the "Instructions" section for any specific information from your faculty and/or department.
  4. Update the information in the “Account” section to begin a new course evaluation request.

When should I submit my courses for evaluation?

Once you have finalized your course registration at the partner university (i.e. after the partner university’s add/ drop deadline), submit your courses for evaluation in the Transfer Credit Portal. You can submit transfer credit course requests at any time. However, the courses are only evaluated after the submission deadline has passed. There are four submission deadlines during the year and the process takes approximately 16 weeks following each deadline.

What if my course selection changes?

For any course(s) that you have added, you will need to submit a new course evaluation package with the new courses.

For any course(s) that you have dropped, please email your faculty designate and let them know which course(s) you have dropped.

If you have questions about your course registration, please email your faculty designate.

What do I need to submit?

You will need to provide detailed course information (course number, title, credit hours, course descriptions, prerequisites, grading breakdown, schedule of topics and readings, etc.) and a copy of the syllabus.

Keep all of your syllabi and materials from each course you take, even if the course already exists in our database. Course evaluations are reviewed every five years and you may be asked to provide an updated syllabus to your faculty designate.

Where do I find course information?

Refer to your partner university's website or contact your course instructor. Upload the syllabi and enter the required course information into the appropriate text boxes provided in the portal.

What if my course information is in a language other than English?

If the course information is not in English, you will need to provide a rough translation of the course information and syllabi. In addition, you will be required to submit the original course syllabi.

I've submitted my courses. Now what?

After submitting individual courses, be sure to submit the entire course package. After submitting a package of courses for evaluation, faculty advisors will review and send the course requests to individual departments for evaluation. This is done after each transfer credit submission deadline and can take up to 16 weeks.

You can track the progress of your transfer credit requests by logging into the portal.

Transfer credit submission deadlines

Submit by: In order to:
July 31
  • Make changes to Winter Session Term 2 courses before the Term 2 add/drop deadline.
  • Have your courses evaluated on the Transfer Credit Portal by mid-December.
October 31
  • Meet the May Graduation application deadline.
  • Plan for next year's Summer Session courses.
  • Have your courses evaluated on the Transfer Credit Portal by the end of February.
January 31
  • Plan for next year's Winter Session courses.
  • Have your courses evaluated on the Transfer Credit Portal by the end of May.

April 30

  • Meet the November graduation deadline.
  • Make changes to Winter Session courses before the Term 1 add/drop deadline.
  • Have your courses evaluated on the Transfer Credit Portal by the end of August.

Returning from abroad

In this section you will find information about any additional follow up that may be necessary upon receiving your approved transfer credits.

What do I need to do next to get my transfer credits?

Results from the Transfer Credit Portal are added to your academic record only after your final transcript from your host university has been received by Go Global.

NOTE: Not all partner universities send transcripts automatically to Go Global. Many institutions require students to request their own transcripts and indicate where they should be sent.

Check with your partner institution about completing any exit requirements or administrative tasks that will allow your transcript to be released and ensure that all official transcripts are sent directly to UBC Go Global.

How long does it take to process my transfer credits and when will they appear on my UBC transcript?

It can take up to 16 weeks for your courses to be evaluated by your faculty and department. Go Global generally receives transcripts from partner institutions about 2-3 months after a program ends. Check with the partner university to make sure you have completed any exit requirements needed for your transcript to be released. Once your final transcript from the partner university has been uploaded to your portal account, the transfer credit will be added to your UBC academic record. This may take up to three additional weeks.

Why does the process take so long?

Go Global receives over 900 course evaluation requests with each consisting of between 5 to 10 courses and sends them to the faculty designates. There are also simply many people from different units involved in the transfer credit process including partner institutions, Go Global, various faculties and departments, and Enrolment Services.

Where can I view my transfer credits?

The results of the evaluation will appear online on the Student Service Centre, in the "Transfer credit" section. You will be able to track the status of your evaluation in the online Transfer Credit Portal. Please contact your faculty designate if you have any questions.

An example of how your transfer credits may appear on your academic record

Example of how transfer credits appear on your record

Will my grades appear on my transcript?

The only thing that will appear on your UBC transcript is the partner university name and the total amount of UBC credit you received (e.g. "University of Sydney, 15 credits"). How individual courses were transferred will only appear on the SSC (e.g. "HIST 300" or "HIST 3rd year"). The EXCH course code on your transcript will not be replaced with the individual courses or credit. Please see "Where can I view my transfer credits?" in the section Returning from abroad.

Your grades earned abroad never appear on your UBC transcript and do not affect your UBC GPA. However, they are still part of your permanent academic record which may affect your applications to graduate programs as well as present or future funding. We suggest requesting additional transcript(s) from the partner institution for personal use.

If you currently have a scholarship or loan, contact your Enrolment Services Advisor or visit the Advising Centre located in Brock Hall.

What if I want to meet a specific degree requirement through transfer credit I received?

Contact the appropriate advisor in your department or faculty. For program requirements, contact your departmental advisor. For faculty requirements, please contact the central faculty advising office. Bring a copy of your course syllabus with you when you meet with your advisor. At their discretion, an advisor may waive a program or faculty requirement if they feel the requirement has been met abroad.

How do I appeal an evaluation?

If you do not agree with how one or more of course(s) has been evaluated, you can make an appeal for the course(s) to be re-evaluated by contacting your faculty designate. It is important that you provide specific information about why you think the courses should be evaluated differently.

How can I get a copy of my partner university transcript?

After your program, when Go Global receives your official transcript from the partner university, a scanned copy will be available for you to download from the Transfer Credit Portal. The original transcript will be sealed with your permanent record at Enrolment Services. To order a transcript for personal use (e.g., for graduate school applications), you will need to request this directly from the partner university.

Advising hours

Please note Drop-in Advising is cancelled on Tuesday September 3rd due to the Imagine Day Activities.

General Incoming Exchange Extended Advising Hours for Tuesday September 4th – Tuesday September 17th (course add/drop deadline)
Morning Advising - 9:30 am - 11:30 am
Afternoon Advising - 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm

Group advising for Coordinated International Experience (CIE):
Wednesday, September 4 | 3:30 pm - 4:00 pm in UBC Life Building Room 1504
Thursday September 5 | 9:00 am - 9:30 am in UBC Life Building Room 1504
Monday September 9 | 4:00 pm - 4:30 pm in UBC Life Building Room 1504

Drop-in advising hours (UBC Vancouver)

Monday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Tuesday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm 
Thursday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm

You might not need to see an advisor. General questions about Go Global Exchange can be answered at the Go Global Main Office in the UBC Life Building (Vancouver) or by emailing  

Group advising for Outbound Exchange 
Outbound Exchange students are strongly encouraged to attend a Group Advising session before meeting with an advisor. Group Advising for Outbound Exchange students takes place weekly (excludes statutory holidays and office closures):

Wednesday: 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Room 1501 (Multipurpose Room) in the Life Building

Go Global Vancouver

When emailing us, please include:

  1. Your student number in the subject line
  2. Your full name and if you are an incoming or outgoing student in the body of the email

Go Global Vancouver

Telephone: 604 822 0942

Fax: 604 822 9885

UBC Life Building
6138 Student Union Blvd
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1


9:00 am - 4:15 pm
9:30 am - 4:15 pm
9:00 am - 4:15 pm
9:00 am - 4:15 pm
9:00 am - 4:15 pm