The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)
Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Located in the capital of Belgium and the administrative centre of the European Union
- Brussels is characterized by the coexistence of French and Flemish culture
- 24,000 students
- French-speaking university
- 3 campuses, all located in Brussels: Solbosch (the largest), Plaine, and Erasme
Partner university's areas of study
ELIGIBILITY AND TIMING
Who can go?
- Exchange students can take coursework in most areas of study
- Semester 1: Early September to End of January
- Semester 2: Early February to Late June
- Students attending ULB for Term 1 may be able to arrange early or distance exams in order to return for UBC's Term 2
- Upper year UBC students may be eligible to take first year Master's level coursework
Course equivalency formula
- ECTS credits divided by 2 = UBC credits
Passing grade10 out of 20
- Final assessment is expressed as a score between 0 and 20
- To make the results interpretable, they are then transcribed into an ECTS grading scale, using a cohort percentile (i.e. how a student has performed relative to other students in the same class (or a significant group of students):
- A: the top 10% of passing students
- B: the following 25%
- C: the following 30%
- D: the following 25%
- E: the remaining 10%
- F grade is used for students who have failed
Credit transfer process
* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.
Type of Go Global Experiences
Course information and restrictions
- Research applicable course restrictions on the website
- Students must take at least 60% of their courses within one faculty at ULB (this faculty must correspond to their principal area of study at UBC)
Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university
Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.
* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.
- 15 credits or equivalent full-time program fee per term, paid to UBC
- Some exceptions may apply
Scholarships + awards
The Go Global award $1000
All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.
Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.
Information for US students
If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.
If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.
If you attend an ineligible institution:
- You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
- You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
- You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
- You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.
Types of accommodation available
University housing is not available to exchange students. Upon acceptance, exchange students are provided with tips on finding housing in the private sector.