The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)
Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Located on a tropical island of Penang (second smallest state in Malaysia after Perlis), north west of Malaysia, between lush green hillsides and the sea
- 1/3 research intensive universities in Malaysia
- 30,000+ students
- Conceptualized as a ‘University in a Garden,’ designed to depict the close affinity between its role as an institution of higher learning and nature
- 2 branch campuses: Kubang Kerian in Kelantan (300km from main campus) - known as the Health Campus, and Nibong Tebal (30km from main campus) - known as the Engineering Campus
- Common languages of Penang: English, Penang Hokkien, Tamil, Malay, Mandarin
Partner university's areas of study
Notes on Language of Instruction
- English and Bahasa Melayu
ELIGIBILITY AND TIMING
Who can go?
- Exchange students from the faculty of Science, Forestry, LFS, and Arts
- Semester 1: September late January (term 1 students will not be able to return to UBC for the January semester)
- Semester 2: February to late June
Course equivalency formula
- Same as UBC credits
Passing gradeP, D- =0.67
Credit transfer process
* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.
Type of Go Global Experiences
Full course load information
- Minimum 12 units need to be taken by students to be considered as full time
- Full course load = 21 units
Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university
Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.
* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.
- 15 credits or equivalent full-time program fee per term, paid to UBC
- Some exceptions may apply
Scholarships + awards
The Go Global award $1000
All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.
Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.
Information for US students
If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.
If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.
If you attend an ineligible institution:
- You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
- You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
- You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
- You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.
Types of accommodation available
- On-campus accommodation provided to about 70% of students
- 6 student hostels called DESASISWA
- Living costs depend on the type of accommodation and if your family is staying with you
- Recommendation: that international students allow between USD$5,200 to USD$6,400 a year for living (food, clothing, books, transport and entertainment) and accommodation costs