The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)
University College London
- Ranked 7th in the world's top 10 universities (Times Higher Education-QS World University Rankings)
- 19 460+ undergraduate students
- One of the widest ranges of degree programs in the country
- The undergraduate student body is cosmopolitan, diverse and dynamic: over half are women, about 14% are over the age of 21 on entry, and students are attracted not only from all regions of Britain but also from 136 overseas countries
- Named "London's Global University," UCL is perhaps the nearest there is to a campus university in central London, with most buildings surrounding the original Wilkins building on what is known as the UCL precinct
- Occupies the same location, just north of Oxford Street and the British Museum, as it did when it was originally founded in 1826
- In the immediate vicinity are other colleges and libraries of the University of London and the British Library, together offering a unique academic resource
Partner university's areas of study
ELIGIBILITY AND TIMING
Who can go?
- This partner has a minimum cumulative average requirement of 77%
- Students are only eligible to attend after second year (ie: you must have completed two full-time years of study at UBC in order to be eligible)
- Students from all Faculties may attend UCL but not all Faculties at UCL are available to Exchange students. Please pay careful attention to the Faculties that are available at UCL under Course Information and Restrictions.
- Students wishing to take Modules in Management must attend Full Year or Term 2 only
- Semester 1: Late September to Late December
- Semester 2: Early January to Mid June
- Applied Science: When applying to Go Global, UBC-V Engineering students must select 'University College London-Engineering' on their online Go Global application (Restrictions apply)
Course equivalency formula
- UCL credits divided by 4 = UBC credits
Credit transfer process
* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.
Type of Go Global Experiences
Course information and restrictions
- Although a preliminary selection is made at the time of application, course enrolment does not take place until arrival at UCL, when students discuss their programme of study with their academic advisor (called the Affiliate Student Tutor)
- Students are expected to select courses from subject areas in their Major. Please note that almost all of the modules that you take at UCL must be taken from within the admitting department.
- There is a small number of modules that cannot cater to Fall-only students, however now the majority of modules do, as arrangements can be made for alternative examination times
- Any subjects within Arts and Humanities (which includes English and foreign languages) are not available to exchange students
- Students may take courses in the following Faculties at UCL:
- Faculty of Engineering Sciences
- Electronic and Electrical Engineering students can only apply for a Term 2 or Full-Year
- Mechanical Engineering
- Biochemical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil, Environmental & Geomatic Engineering
- Very limited access to Computer Science
- Management courses are offered through the Faculty of Engineering Sciences. Students can only take courses as Full Year or Term 2.
- Faculty of Mathematical & Physical Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- History and Philosophy of Science
- Physics & Astronomy
- Statistical Sciences
- Faculty of Social & Historical Sciences
- History of Art
- Political Science and International Relations
- The Americas
- Faculty of Life Sciences
- Biological Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Molecular Biosciences
- Faculty of Brain Sciences
- Psychology and Language Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering Sciences
Full course load information
- Normal Courseload: 120 UCL Credits for full year or 60 UCL Credits for one semester
Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university
Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.
* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.
- 15 credits or equivalent full-time program fee per term, paid to UBC
- Some exceptions may apply
Scholarships + awards
The Go Global award $1000
All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.
Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.
Information for US students
If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.
If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.
If you attend an ineligible institution:
- You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
- You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
- You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
- You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.
Types of accommodation available
- Full-year study abroad students guaranteed housing if, prior to ~31 May (see the website for the current housing deadline) you have firmly accepted your offer to study at UCL and have returned your housing application form
- If you come to UCL for less than a full - year you will also normally be allocated housing but this cannot be guaranteed
- 2 types of accommodation:
- UCL Halls of Residence (catered facilities): Single room: ~£128 – £144 per week
- UCL Student Houses (self catered): Single room: ~£90 – £145 per week. Most of the housing is within a few minutes walk of UCL, and most rooms are single study bedrooms, equipped with bed, desk, chairs, washbasin, bookcase and cupboard. The price of UCL housing will vary depending on location and facilities. The prices shown above were the rates charged in 2008/09. Personal possessions insurance is included in the rental costs
- If you wish to make your own arrangements for housing, help in finding suitable rented accommodation is available through the University of London Housing Services