University of Copenhagen

City: Copenhagen
Language of instruction: Danish, English
  • Largest research and education institution in Denmark
  • 40,000 students
  • 2,000 exchange students each year
  • Several campuses spread throughout the city, all within biking distance

Thinking of studying abroad in Sweden or Denmark? Learn some Danish or Swedish language at UBC before you go!
Or go deeper with a Scandinavian Minor!

Read student reports

Partner university's areas of study

ArtsEducationFine ArtsForestryLand and Food SystemsLawScience

Notes on Language of Instruction

  • Extensive coursework taught in English
  • Danish language courses offered during the semesters


Terms offered

Term 1Term 2Full year Term 1 + 2 (UBC Term 1 start)

Who can go?

  • Students in 3rd or 4th year (while on exchange)

Term dates

  • Semester 1: Mid August to Late January
  • Semester 2: Late January to Early July


  • Science students on Term 1 exchange cannot return for UBC's Term 2 (UCPH Faculty of Science exams are held at the end of January)
  • Other faculties can accommodate by scheduling early exams in December. This depends on individual course selection and may not be guaranteed. In certain circumstances, Go Global can help supervise exams after students have returned.
Courses + Transfer Credits


Course equivalency formula

  • ECTS credits divided by 2 = UBC credits
    Law students must take 45 ECTS at Copenhagen to receive 15 UBC credits

Passing grade

02 (E) minimum passing grade

Grading scheme

Credit transfer process

The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)

For more information about Go Global transfer credit

Course Information

* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.

Type of Go Global Experiences

Exchange (pay UBC tuition)Graduate research

Course information and restrictions

  • Courses designed especially for international students: Cross-discipline courses, Danish culture courses, and Danish language courses
  • Areas of study not open to exchange students:
    • Cognition and Communication
    • Global Development
    • Security Risk Management
    • Advanced Migration Studies
    • Applied Cultural Analysis

Full course load information

  • Minimum: 22.5 ECTS
  • Maximum: 35 ECTS
  • Law students required to take 45 ECTS per semester to receive 15 UBC credits

Partner Course Information

Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university

Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.

* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.

No courses found.
Tuition, Fees and Awards

Exchange tuition

  • 15 credits or equivalent full-time program fee per term, paid to UBC
  • Some exceptions may apply

Scholarships + awards

The Go Global Award $1000

All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad travel programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.

Additional awards

Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.

Check out international learning awards and eligibility.

Information for US students

If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.

If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.

If you attend an ineligible institution:

  • You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
  • You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
  • You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
  • You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.

Types of accommodation available


Housing notes

  • High demand for housing in Copenhagen
  • Housing more easily available in the Spring semester
  • UCPH is a decentralized campus, which means no on-campus housing facilities
  • Most students rent rooms in private homes or share flats with other students
  • The UCPH Housing Foundation assists international students in finding accommodation

Partner Housing Information

How to applyBack to UBCO