The transfer credit process takes approximately 16 weeks following each submission deadline. You should allow sufficient time to meet important deadlines that may affect you (e.g. application for graduation, registration in courses that require prerequisites that you took on exchange, entry to a major/honours program, etc.)
University of Sydney
- Australia's first university
- 35 300+ undergraduate students
- Central Camperdown/Darlington campus located 3km from heart of Sydney
- 72-hectare site with landscaped grounds, sports ovals and centres, museums, galleries, two major complexes for to student recreation and services, the famous Quadrangle
- Walkable distance to suburbs of Glebe and Newtown, famous for cafes and restaurants
- Highly developed public transit system provides easy access to Sydney harbor, numerous national landmarks, parks, museums, and galleries
- Key member of Group of Eight (Go8) Australia's major research intensive universities
Partner university's areas of study
ELIGIBILITY AND TIMING
Who can go?
- Students must have minimum 72% cumulative average
- Exchange students can take coursework in most areas of study
- Semester 1: March to July
- Semester 2: Mid-July to End of November
When applying to Go Global, select:
- Term 1: if planning to take US's semester 2
- Term 2: if planning to take US's semester 1
- Full year: if planning to take US's semester 2 and then take US's Semester 1
- Split year: if planning to take US's semester 1 and then take US's semester 2
Course equivalency formula
- Sydney credit points x 0.625 = UBC credits
Passing grade'P=50=Pass' or 'Pcon=46=Concessional Pass' or 'R for pass/fail only'
Credit transfer process
* Students who have special requirements or require academic accommodation should contact a Go Global advisor regarding their needs at least six weeks prior to the application deadline.
Type of Go Global Experiences
Course information and restrictions
- Medicine and Psychology only available at the undergraduate level, coded numerically between 1000-3000
- Undergraduate students are not permitted to enrol in postgraduate units of study (usually numbered 5000 level and higher)
Full course load information
- Normal study load per semester 24 credits (4 units of study)
- 18 credits minimum per semester (3 units of study: student visa condition)
- 30 credits maximum per semester (5 units of study)
Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university
Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 3 years. If you don't see a course you need listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while on exchange.
* Areas of study at partner universities are subject to change. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partners' websites for additional course information.
- 15 credits or equivalent full-time program fee per term, paid to UBC
- Some exceptions may apply
Scholarships + awards
The Go Global award $1000
All students accepted to Go Global for Exchange, Research Abroad, or Study Abroad programs are automatically considered for this award. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you'll be notified of your award after you're accepted to Go Global and after you get nominated to apply to the partner university.
Students who are eligible for awards may receive one UBC or UBC-affiliated international learning award. If you're eligible, you are always offered the highest-value award. Unless stated otherwise, you need to meet eligibility criteria set out by the University Senate regarding awards.
Information for US students
If you are a student from the United States, please check the US Department of Education Lookup Tool to ensure that any partner institution you wish to attend on Exchange is Title IV ‘eligible’ for Federal Student Aid for the year in which you intend to study there. For institutions outside of the US, select “Foreign Country” from the “State” dropdown menu.
If you attend an eligible institution, then you may receive Title IV federal student loans while on Exchange.
If you attend an ineligible institution:
- You will not be eligible for US federal student loans,
- You may invalidate any US student aid you have previously received for your studies at UBC,
- You may be required to immediately begin repaying your US student loans, and
- You may not be eligible for any future US student aid for the remainder of your studies at UBC.
Types of accommodation available
- Guaranteed on-campus housing for visiting study abroad and exchange students at Urbanest Cleveland Street
- Urbanest offers a variety of facilities and services: close to transport and amenities, 5 minute walk to the university, apartments are fully furnished, rent includes utilities, contents insurance, and 10GB of internet per month, study spaces, full equipped gym and yoga room, TV and video games room, coin-operated laundry, outdoor BBQ space to meet other students, 24/7 dedicated on-site team, CCTV, and swipe card access for all rooms
- Price per week varies from AUD$299 to AUD$375 depending on the type of room and length of stay requested
- Students who plan to live off-campus should arrive in Sydney at least two weeks prior to the Orientation program to find housing before semester begins
- Accommodation Information Service through the Accommodation Officers provides an accommodation advising service
- "New to Sydney Accommodation Information Sessions" offerd prior to semesters commencement
- Semester in Australia is an organisation that secures fully-furnished housing for students studying in Sydney - Staff will pick students up from the airport and take them directly to apartment