Graduate students, senior undergraduate students and faculty members in any faculty may initiate an application.
Mitacs will be accepting Globalink Research Award applications at any time throughout the year. Candidates do not need to wait until Mitacs issues a call for proposals to submit a GRA application. The September call for applications will support travel beginning the following spring, and the January call for applications will support travel beginning in the fall of the same year.
- Graduate or senior undergraduate students will identify a research area, a UBC faculty member to supervise the project, and a research supervisor at a host university in one of the Mitacs partner countries listed above.
- With the faculty supervisors, the student will develop a project proposal and complete the Proposal Application.
- Once the Proposal Application is complete, the UBC faculty member or student will forward it to the Office of Research Services (ORS) to request the approval signature.
- Following review and approval by ORS, an email will be sent to the student and supervising UBC faculty member (CC: Mitacs and Go Global) informing them that the application is ready to pick up. The student and faculty member then submit the proposal, and application documents to Mitacs by email.
- The student and faculty member then submit the proposal and application documents to Mitacs by email.
- If accepted, the student and UBC faculty member receives a letter of conditional acceptance and completes the rest of the application process with the student as outlined on the Mitacs website.
- In consultation with Go Global, the student completes the following pre-departure requirements:
- Participating in a pre-departure preparation and safety briefing meeting with a Go Global advisor.
- Completing the travel authorization process, if necessary. See the “Travel Restrictions” section below.
- Completing UBC’s Student Safety Abroad Registry.
- Having a Go Global advisor sign the Mitacs International Pre-Departure form.
- The completed forms and application are submitted to Mitacs.
- Funds are released only after the application receives final approval from Mitacs. Travel is not permitted before final approval.