- Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements, including any partner or program-specific requirements.
- Apply online by the Go Global deadline listed above.
- Please submit only one application for the summer program of your choice. You can include a second choice as a backup on the same application if needed by selecting the "Add Item" button. Where applicable, select the "SUMMER STUDY" option to pay tuition to UBC or the "Study Abroad" option to pay tuition to the partner institution.
- If you plan to do multiple experiences (e.g. more than one summer program; a term exchange and a summer program, etc.), please submit a separate application for each experience. Our team will review your application(s) and if successful, will nominate you to apply to the partner institution(s).
- Pay the Go Global Fee when prompted after the application deadline.
- If successfully nominated by Go Global, you will receive instructions on how to apply to the partner university. This application typically includes the supporting documents listed below:
- Recommendation letter from a UBC professor in a field similar to the summer opportunity
- UBC Transcript (Go Global will provide you with a copy of your UBC transcript)
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU) Summer Gateway Program
About the Program
This program provides the opportunity to take intensive Japanese language courses (at levels from beginner to intermediate), expand your knowledge of Japanese and Asia Pacific cultures, and deepen your intercultural understanding and cross-cultural communication skills by studying alongside students from over 80 countries and regions.
Final program details will be published by the partner institution that manages this program and are generally updated on their program webpage. However, you must apply through Go Global to be considered for this program and ensure you follow the appropriate transfer credit process.
Partner InstitutionRitsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU)
Early June through late July
Area(s) of studyArtsJapanese Language
Tuition payable to
- Partner institution
- December 6, 2018
You will enroll in 1 intensive language course which is equivalent to 4 UBC credits.
Transfer credits and equivalent courses at this university
Check out the courses that students have successfully transferred back in the last 5 years. If you don't see a particular course you listed, it simply means you need to submit the course to be evaluated through the Transfer Credit Portal while abroad. For more information, please visit the Go Global Transfer Credit webpage.
* Not all courses listed are offered through the summer program at this institution. This list is to be used as a general guideline and is not exhaustive; research the partner's websites for additional course information.
Tuition and Fees
You will pay tuition directly to the partner institution for this program.
The partner institution may charge other program fees such as application fees, housing costs, field trips, cultural activities, or other costs associated with hosting this program. Please check the partner webpage for details of program costs.
How to apply to a Go Global Summer Program
If you are considering applying for a Go Global program and identify with having a disability or pre-existing health condition (mental or physical) which could impact your participation, or if you require academic accommodation, you can contact the following offices and meet with an Accessibility Advisor before the start of your program:
The Centre for Accessibility (Vancouver) 604 822-5844
Disability Resource Centre (Okanagan) 250 807-8053
Go Global Refund Policy for Summer Programs
To receive a refund from Go Global, you must withdraw by e-mail to your Go Global advisor by March 30.
You are eligible for a refund of $321.75 if:
- You have applied to Go Global but do not meet our minimum eligibility requirements
- Go Global cannot match you to a partner university
- The partner university does not accept your application and Go Global cannot find another option
You will receive an $93.25 refund if you withdraw from the program in writing before March 30 for reasons other than those stated above.
Please consult with your Go Global advisor if you have any questions.
Monday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Tuesday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Thursday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
You might not need to see an advisor. General questions about the Go Global Exchange process can be answered at the Main Office at the UBC Life Building (Vancouver).