- Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements, including any partner or program-specific requirements.
- Apply online by the Go Global deadline listed above. Please submit only one application for the summer program of your choice (you can include a second choice as a backup on the same application if needed by selecting the "Add Item" button). If you plan to do multiple experiences (e.g. more than one summer program; a term exchange and a summer program, etc.), please submit a separate application for each experience. Our team will review your application and if successful, will nominate you to apply to the partner institution.
- Pay the Go Global Fee when prompted after the application deadline.
- If successfully nominated by Go Global, you will receive instructions on how to apply to the partner university. This application typically includes the supporting documents listed below:
- Recommendation letter from a UBC professor in a field similar to the summer opportunity
- UBC Transcript (Go Global will provide you with a copy of your UBC transcript)
Universitat Pompeu Fabra Barcelona Summer School
About the Program
UPF's Barcelona Summer School offers a variety of courses taught in English and Spanish as well as Spanish language courses, all taught by regular-term UPF lecturers and highly regarded guest lecturers. The program "showcases the vibrant city as a modern, cosmopolitan melting pot and an ideal forum for discussing current global issues". This academically challenging program also "offers flexibility and scope for enrolment on language and subject-specific courses revolving around the arts, society and the audiovisual industry, with a focus on Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain and Europe." Students will participate in hands-on seminars, fieldwork, and off-campus activities.
Courses are offered through 1, 2, 3 and 5-week modules. Students also have the option to complete a 5-week Spanish language program in addition to their academic content courses.
Final program details will be published by the partner institution that manages this program and are generally updated on their program webpage. However, you must apply through Go Global to be considered for this program and ensure you follow the appropriate transfer credit process.
Partner InstitutionUniversitat Pompeu Fabra
Late June to late July or early August
Area(s) of studyArtsEconomicsPolitical ScienceSpanish Language
Tuition payable to
- Partner institution
- February 1, 2018
Additional Requirements or Restrictions
Applicants who wish to take content courses instructed in Spanish should have completed at least four semesters of college-level Spanish.
Applicants must be have at least second year standing at time of application and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or a B+ grade (equivalent to 7.0 in a scale from 0 to 10).
Course credits vary by module length. 5-week modules are 6 ECTS; 2- and 3-week modules are 4 ECTS; 1-week modules are 2 ECTS. Please note that 2 ECTS credits = 1 UBC credit. Students are required to enroll in at least one content course.
Transfer credits are only granted for courses with academic content and may not be granted for cultural activities or intensive language courses. Please speak to a departmental advisor if you have any questions.
Tuition and Fees
You will pay tuition directly to the partner institution for this program.
The partner institution may charge other program fees such as application fees, housing costs, field trips, cultural activities, or other costs associated with hosting this program. Please check the partner webpage for details of program costs.
How to apply to a Go Global Summer Program
Go Global Refund Policy for Summer Programs
To receive a refund from Go Global, you must withdraw by e-mail to your Go Global advisor by March 30.
You are eligible for a refund of $321.75 if:
- You have applied to Go Global but do not meet our minimum eligibility requirements
- Go Global cannot match you to a partner university
- The partner university does not accept your application and Go Global cannot find another option
You will receive an $93.25 refund if you withdraw from the program in writing before March 30 for reasons other than those stated above.
Please consult with your Go Global advisor if you have any questions.
Monday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Tuesday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Thursday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
You might not need to see an advisor. General questions about the Go Global Exchange process can be answered at the Main Office at the UBC Life Building (Vancouver).