Academic concessions

About concessions

Academic concessions are generally granted when students are facing either:

  • Conflicting responsibilities such as religious observances, military duty, or conferences
  • Unforeseen events, such as a mental or physical health issue or family emergency

Get complete regulations on academic concessions in UBC’s Academic Calendar.

Types of concessions

Request a concession

Talk to your instructor

If you’re in a situation that’s affecting your ability to meet academic requirements, we recommend that you start by contacting your instructor to discuss how you can make up missed work.

Your instructor may request documentation to verify your request.

Request an academic concession

To request an academic concession, contact your academic advising office. Your advising office will require documentation before processing your request.

If you've been asked to provide documentation

You should seek documentation from your current health care provider. Treating health professionals include:

  • Counsellors and psychologists at Counselling Services
  • Student Health Service physicians
  • A non-UBC physician or mental health professional 

Please note that UBC counsellors, psychologists, and physicians can only document mental and physical health difficulties that were assessed and/or treated prior to the request for concessions.   

Read more about medical care and mental health support services for students.

Tuition adjustment or refund

If you have received an academic concession or withdrawn from a course under extraordinary and extenuating circumstances, you may be eligible for a tuition adjustment or refund. This includes but is not limited to medical and compassionate grounds.

You can find more information on the Tuition refund dates page.

Contact us