Apply as an Access Studies student to take distance education courses for general interest outside of a degree program if:
Distance Education for Non-Degree Studies
Eligibility to apply
Are you an unclassified or visiting student?
You can still apply through Access Studies for distance education even if:
- You have completed a university degree
- You are currently in a degree program elsewhere
When to apply
We recommend you apply before:
- March (for courses starting in May through August)
- July (for courses starting in September)
- November (for courses starting in January)
Applications are accepted up until the start of term, although there is no guarantee you would be admitted in time to register for courses if you apply after the recommended deadlines above.
How to apply
Search for eligible distance education courses in the online course schedule (select "Course Search," enter the subject area or keyword(s), and check "Return Distance Education courses only"). Write down your results.
If you're a student who has previously registered in courses at UBC: Go to Non-Degree Studies for former UBC students
If you're new to UBC, apply online and include your desired course information from your search. UBC will email you a confirmation with instructions on your next steps.
What else do I need to know?
- Enrolment is in a limited selection of courses and programs up to 15 credits per term. Admission as an Access Studies student does not guarantee entrance to the courses requested, nor does it guarantee subsequent admission to a degree program at UBC. Courses may be transferable to a future UBC degree program at the discretion of the faculty to which you apply.
- Not all faculties or departments participate in the Access Studies program. Distance education courses available to Access Studies students begin with the following subject codes: APBI, AUDI, CLST, ENGL, EOSC, FIST, FMST, FNH, COPR, FREN, FRST, GEOG, HIST, IHHS, LFS, MUSC, PATH, PHIL, PSYC, SOCI, SOWK, SURG, WMST, WOOD. Distance education courses are offered either online or by correspondence and start in January, May and September of each year with set completion dates. The online course schedule provides details on course delivery methods and dates.
Faculty of Education courses only: apply directly to the faculty