Health insurance details for domestic students

All domestic students are required to have basic and extended health insurance for the duration of their studies at UBC.

Basic health insurance

What you need

BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) or health coverage under another provincial or territorial basic health plan.

What it will cover

  • Doctor visits
  • Hospital visits
  • Tests

Coverage period

As long as you remain enrolled and eligible for MSP or your home province or territory health plan.

Approximate cost

Effective January 1, 2016
MSP Monthly Rates:

  • $75.00 per month for an individual,
  • $136.00 for a family of two, or
  • $150.00 for a family of three or more.

You pay directly to MSP. Some employers may pay some or all of your MSP fees. Check with your employer for more information.

Fees are subject to change.

How to enrol

  • You can enrol with MSP directly.
  • You may already be covered under one or both of your parents’ plans.
  • You do not need to switch to MSP if you are covered under another Canadian provincial or territorial health plan (as long as you remain a student).

More information

MSP information for domestic students

Extended health insurance

What you need

AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan or similar extended health insurance from another source. The information below pertains to the AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan.

What it will cover

  • Vision care
  • Dental care
  • Up to 80% of prescription drug costs
  • Travel health coverage (outside of home country)

Coverage period

Term one: For one year; September 1 to December 31

Term two: For 8 months; January 1 to August 31

How much will it cost

$264.63 per year.

The fee is charged to your student account.

Fees are subject to change.

How to enrol

You are automatically enrolled when registering for classes.

More information

AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan

Fair PharmaCare

What is it?

Fair Pharmacare helps residents of British Columbia with the cost of certain prescription drugs and medical supplies.

Why do I need it?

In most cases, your AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan will cover up to 80% of eligible prescriptions. However, you may choose to apply for Fair Pharmacare to cover more expensive prescriptions for chronic health conditions that are not covered by the AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan.

When do I need it?

If you are an international student with a Social Insurance Number (SIN) and already have MSP coverage, you may be eligible to apply for Fair Pharmacare. You must apply for and receive your MSP and SIN before you submit your application for Fair Pharmacare.

How do I get it?

You can submit an application for Fair Pharmacare online. The application requests that you provide information from your last year’s Canadian tax return. 

If you are a new international student who has not yet filed tax returns, you will need to complete an application for income review. In addition to the income review, you will need to contact MSP by phone at 604-683-7151 to request that another form be sent to you by mail or fax. The name of this form is the “Notarized Affidavit”, where you will include any world income from outside of Canada in the past year. You must take this form to a notary to be stamped (check online for notaries near UBC; there will be a fee) and then send the original form back to MSP at the following address:

Related topics