How to amend your study permit from within Canada

Amendments apply to the mistakes made by IRCC when your documents were issued.

Overview of the process

Amendments apply only to the mistakes that are made by IRCC when your documents were issued. For example, if you are eligible to work in Canada but your study permit states you "may not work" or "may not accept employment", you'll need to amend your study permit to get the right wording to apply for a SIN in order to work.

When to apply As soon as possible
Cost No cost
Processing time 1 – 2 months
How to apply

By paper only. Mail to:

Amendment to the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Temporary Resident Document Operation Support Centre (OSC)
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 1L1

Application form

Request to Amend the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident documents [IMM 1436]

Note: Make sure you use the newest form available here on the IRCC website.

General supporting documents

  1. Document checklist IMM 1436
  2. Letter of enrolment: Students can download this letter from SSC. Grad students, students applying in summer when not enrolled in summer courses, and those with unusual circumstances (e.g. studies are taking longer than usual) should request a letter from their academic advisor or department staff stating their status as a student and their expected date of program completion. Submit this in addition to a letter of enrolment.
  3. Copy of your passport bio-page (the page with your name and picture) 
  4. Copy of another government–issued ID (National Identity Card, Driver’s License, etc)
  5. Original study permit
  6. Other relevant documents as required on the application checklist


Application Form 

  • The answer to questions 20 and 21 are usually the same. It is the date that you first entered Canada as a student (usually the issue date on your study permit).
  • On page 2, leave all of Section B and question #1 in Section C blank.
  • In Section C question #2, write the following (as applicable): 
    • If you are a UBC degree- or diploma-seeking student: Please amend my study permit to reflect my eligibility to work on and off campus in Canada so that I may apply for a Social Insurance Number. I am a full-time, degree- or diploma-seeking student at the University of British Columbia. Thank you. 
    • If you are a non-degree-seeking student (Exchange, VIRS): Please amend my study permit to reflect my eligibility to work on campus in Canada so that I may apply for a Social Insurance Number. I am a full-time student at the University of British Columbia. Thank you.
  • Make sure you sign and date your application. It will be returned to you if it is not signed. 

Supporting Documents

  • Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:
    • the English or French translation; and
    • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
    • a certified copy of the original document.
  • To have your documents translated by a Certified Translator, you can contact the Society of Interpreters and Translators of British Columbia and search for a Certified Translator for your language.

  • MOSAIC also offers certified translation.

  • Need help scanning your documents? Go to the Chapman Learning Commons at Irving K. Barber.

General information

  • Keep a clear photocopy of your study permit for your records – you must send the original with your application.
  • Use Xpresspost or a courier service when sending your application, and ask for your package to be tracked so that you know when it arrives. IRCC will not send you confirmation that they have received your application. 
  • Check the IRCC Application Guide for more details 

After you get the amended permit

Contact us

International Student Advising

Talk to an advisor

International Student Advisors are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) who can help.

When emailing us, include the following information in the email:

  1. Your student number in the subject line
  2. Your name
  3. Your citizenship(s)
  4. All permit and visa expiration dates (if applicable)
  5. Currently in Canada (YES or NO)
  6. If you request specific assistance, please provide detailed information including applicable documents, such as a rejection letter
UBC Life Building
1200-6138 Student Union Blvd.
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1


Mon9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Tue9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Wed9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Thu9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Fri9:00 am - 4:00 pm