What to bring

Documentation and records to bring to UBC if you're coming from another province or country.


There are a number of documents* you will be required to bring with you if you're coming to UBC from outside of Canada: 

  • Passport
  • Letter of Introduction (issued by Canadian visa officers as the approval of your study permit application)
  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), depending on your country of citizenship (if you applied for your study permit from a visa office outside Canada and you require a TRV, your TRV will automatically be issued and affixed into your passport)
  • UBC Letter of Acceptance
  • Proof of funds

Other helpful documents to bring:

  • Marriage certificate and notarized copies
  • Driver’s license
  • Medical/immunization records

*Make sure you carry your immigration documents on your person (not in your luggage) when you travel.


It’s a good idea to bring a copy of your medical records for you and your family members. If you have a chronic medical condition, get your physician to write a short medical history (preferably in English) for your new doctor in Vancouver.

Bring records (including the dates) of any  immunizations and tests you have had done. If you use traditional medicines or special herbal remedies on a regular basis, you may want to bring enough to last your stay. If you're coming to UBC from another country, check with the nearest Canadian consulate, visa office, or the Canada Border Services Agency about any import restrictions on these substances.

If you bring medications, make sure they are in the original packaging and are accompanied by a prescription from your physician. 

Canada border services restrictions