At UBC we have a Sexual Assault Prevention Team (SAPT) which advises on approaches to sexual violence prevention and education through ongoing consultation with the campus community and campus experts. The SAPT is made up of a diverse committee of key stakeholders across both the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses. The SAPT has created a comprehensive education plan including an evidence-based approach to sexual assault education.
The goals and intended actions of the education plan are to:
- Reduce the incidence of sexual assault by promoting a culture of bystander intervention
- Promote healthy and respectful relationships including understanding consent, sex positivity, how to set boundaries and assertiveness skill development
- Support the implementation of the University’s Sexual Assault Protocol and upcoming policy
- Build the capacity of staff, faculty and student leaders to respond appropriately to a disclosure of sexual assault
- Create a safer and respectful campus environment