Transfer credit terms

Find commonly used transfer credit terms and their definitions.

  • Articulation
    The formal process of determining if coursework completed at another institution is eligible for transfer credit at UBC.  

    Articulation is a collaborative process involving Admissions Advisors/Transfer Credit staff who determine the appropriate subject and transfer credit values, with faculty articulators who compare the original course content to specific UBC courses.

  • BC Transfer Guide
    The BC Transfer Guide is an online tool that allows you to search for how courses from another institution in BC and outside BC can be transferred to UBC.

  • Credit Value
    UBC courses are based on the semester credits. Courses from different credit systems such as quarter credits are converted to equivalent UBC semester credits in the Transfer Credit search tool.

  • Effective date
    The time period within which the course must be completed to receive transfer credit.

  • Elective
    Elective or “ELEV” transfer credit indicates a very general form of transfer credit that has no equivalent course at UBC.

  • Equivalency
    Equivalency refers to UBC-V and UBC-O courses that have been reviewed and determined to have equal content and academic level between UBC campuses.

  • Exemption
    An exemption refers to the waiving of a prerequisite or required course. The original course does not significantly match a specific UBC course.

    While it is granted General Credit, it can be used to substitute for the Exempted course. You would not need to take the Exempted course at UBC if it is required for your program. (Example:  PHYS 1st (3). Exempt PHYS 101)

  • General credit
    When an exact UBC equivalent course does not exist within the same department, general transfer credit is granted as close as possible to the course completed elsewhere. General credit will indicate the equivalent subject code, year level, and credit value. 

Example:  HIST 1st (3).
Where an equivalent department does not exist at UBC, general credit will be granted at the faculty level. 

Examples:  ARTS 1st (3) or SCIE 1st (3)
If there is no equivalent program or faculty at UBC but the course should still be eligible for academic transfer credit, a more general elective credit will be granted.

Example:  ELEV 1st (3).
General elective credit might be acceptable to satisfy some degree requirements. You should seek advising from your faculty to determine how general elective credit can be applied to your program.

Example: WRCM 1st (3)
General credit for first-year academic university-level English Writing/Composition courses that meet the Writing/Composition or Communication requirement in all faculties except the Faculty of Arts.

  • Letter of Permission (LOP)
    A Letter of Permission (LOP) is an approval from your faculty that the course(s) you’re planning on taking at another institution will transfer back to your UBC degree.

    Current UBC students who wish to register in any course at another institution must obtain prior permission from their faculty, in the form of an LOP, before taking courses elsewhere.

    Requests for an LOP are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and approval is not guaranteed.

  • Not for Credit in Science
    Some transfer credit agreements on the BC Transfer Guide indicate that another institution’s course is eligible for transfer credit, but not in the Faculty of Science, and other Science-based programs, such as Engineering, Forestry, and Land/Food Systems.

    Example: CHEM 1st (3) Not for credit in Science

    Although the course may be considered for credit in a Science subject, such as CHEM 1st (3), with the (3) indicating 3 transfer credits of general first-year Chemistry, the original course cannot be used to satisfy Faculty of Science degree requirements. Other faculties may apply such transfer credit differently. 

    Example: MATH 1st (3) Not for credit in Science includes Science-based programs such as Engineering, Forestry, Land/Food Systems, and also Sauder/Commerce.

  • Preclusion
    The original course is not equivalent to a specific UBC course.  While it is granted General Credit, it cannot be used to substitute for the Precluded course.

    You would need to take the Precluded course if it is required for your degree program, and lose the General Credit assigned. (Example: ECON 1st (3). Precludes ECON 101)

  • Unassigned Credit
    See General Credit above.