UBC is big. With close to 60,000 students enrolled, it can be easy to feel a bit lost in the scale of it all sometimes.
But each of those students holds a different perspective, different ideas, and daily concerns. When it comes down to it, it’s all of those stories that make our UBC community special—and that’s why we want to feature you and your story on @ubc_studentlife!
If you’re already following us on Instagram, you’ll recognize our series featuring students from all backgrounds, faculties, ages, and areas of interest. We want to demonstrate the diversity of student life at UBC by telling bite-sized stories about the many, many, many ways that being a student can be fun, scary, exciting, stressful, and fulfilling.
We believe that all students have stories worth telling—and that a story doesn’t need to be extraordinary to be important.
We’ve talked to students about academics, school-life balance, family relationships, personal passions, friendships, romantic relationships, social pressure, identity, adulting, career paths, self-care, travel, and more.
We want to hear about what you’ve learned, how you’ve grown, what you’re struggling with, and who inspires you.
No matter who you are, or where you're from, you can bet that there are other people here at UBC who will read your story and feel just a little less alone.
So what do I have to do to participate?
- Fill out this form. (Editor's update: Submissions to this form are no longer being monitored as of June 24, 2020. If you'd like to participate, email us at the address below.)
- If selected, we’ll reach out for a 15-30 minute virtual interview. We’ll ask you a series of open-ended questions about your life as a UBC student.
- If you're in Vancouver, you’ll meet with our photographers for a 30-60 minute photoshoot. Please note: photoshoots will not be conducted until it is safe and appropriate to do so. We may instead ask you to share photos you already have of yourself.
- We’ll put together your story based on your interview and choose visuals that showcase you and your story well. You will be consulted at every step of the process, and we will never publish a story or a photo with which you are not 100% comfortable.
- Your story gets shared with the UBC community on our Instagram!
If you have any questions, please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.