UBC is a big place. With close to 60,000 students traipsing around more than 400 hectares of campus, it can be easy to feel lost sometimes.
But each of those students comes here with a different perspective, different ideas, and daily concerns. When it comes down to it, it’s all of those stories that make our UBC community special—and that’s why we want to feature you and your story on @ubc_studentlife!
If you’re already following us on Instagram, you’ll recognize our series featuring students from all backgrounds, faculties, ages, and areas of interest. We want to demonstrate the diversity of student life at UBC by telling bite-sized stories about the many, many, many ways that being a student can be fun, scary, exciting, stressful, and fulfilling.
We believe that all students have stories worth telling—and that a story doesn’t need to be extraordinary to be important.
We’ve talked to students about academics, school-life balance, family relationships, personal passions, friendships, romantic relationships, social pressure, identity, adulting, career paths, self-care, travel, and more.
We want to hear about what you’ve learned, how you’ve grown, what you’re struggling with, and who inspires you.
Whether you’re a first year who moved here from across the world or a fifth year who’s not sure what the future holds (or anywhere in between), you can bet that there are other people here at UBC who will read your story and feel just a little less alone. (Plus, you’ll get some awesome new headshots!)
So what do I have to do to participate?
- Fill out this form. (Editor's update: Submissions to this form are no longer being monitored as of Aug 2019. If you'd like to participate, email us at the address below.)
- If selected, we’ll reach out for a 15-20 minute interview. We’ll ask you a series of open-ended questions about your life as a UBC student.
- You’ll meet with our photographers for a 30-60 minute photoshoot.
- We’ll put together your story based on your interview and choose photos that showcase you and your story well. You’ll get complete control over your story and the photos—we will never publish anything that you’re not totally comfortable with.
- Your story gets shared with the UBC community on our Instagram!
If you have any questions, please reach out at email@example.com.