Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you're going to work in Canada, you will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number. Find out what it is and how you get it. 

What is a Social Insurance Number?

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.

To get a SIN, you need either a work permit OR an on-campus job offer (with a valid study permit).

Do I need it?

You should apply for a SIN after you recieve either:

  • A work permit, OR
  • An on-campus job offer (with a valid study permit

After you get your SIN card

Make sure you keep your SIN valid by renewing your SIN each time you extend your temporary residency in Canada (for example, when you extend your study permit or get a post-graduation work permit).

If you lose your SIN card, you can get a replacement card by following the same application instructions. You will have to pay a $10 replacement fee.

To extend or amend  your SIN, follow the same application instructions.