On the first day of classes, campus is transformed and over 8000 new-to-UBC students and over 1000 faculty, student, and staff volunteers come together to welcome you to your new academic community and celebrate the start of the school year.
Looking back at UBC Orientations
Imagine the day
On Tuesday, September 2, you will come together with the entire Class of 2018 for the first and only time while you’re at UBC to be formally welcomed to the University and celebrate the start of your UBC journey.
And what a celebration it will be. Campus will be transformed on this one day to provide you with the chance to meet some great people, including your Dean, some of your future professors, and other students taking similar courses to you. This will be your opportunity to learn about your new academic environment and specific expectations of your Faculty, as well as meet people and make friends, before classes start the next day.
At the Pep Rally, you will be treated to a number of performances from various members of the UBC community. Afterwards, attend the Main Event, where you can see and sample the many opportunities and experiences available to you during your time at the University, and start thinking about how you want to make the most of your next four years.
Imagine it's just the beginning
Your orientation doesn't end at Imagine UBC. You are invited to participate in a number of exciting events being hosted from across the university, each designed to welcome you to your new home, help you learn about your new academic setting, find your communities on campus and make friends.
If you're moving into UBC Residences
- See what's planned during your first week to help you settle in to your new home.
- Aug. 31 – Sept. 14: Connect with students from across the University during AMS Firstweek. There are a number of events to choose from, including a comedy show, pool party and shopping trip.
- Sept. 8 – 14: Participate in free recreation classes and sample the many ways you can stay active, at the UBC Recreation Open House.
- New international students who didn't participate in Jump Start are invited to get crucial information regarding immigration and health insurance.
- Sept. 9: Aboriginal students are invited to the First Nations House of Learning Welcome Back BBQ to connect with the Longhouse community and the many resources they offer.
- Sept. 13: Homecoming Weekend is the perfect way to get to know the wider UBC community and get the Thunderbird spirit. Go birds, go!
- Sept. 17 - 19: Explore the 350+ AMS clubs on campus at AMS Clubs Days. Clubs are a great way to try new things and explore your different interests, in addition to helping you find small communities on campus. If you don't see a club that appeals to you, consider starting your own!
Events in your Faculty
A great way to help you get orientated to life in your Faculty is by attending an Undergraduate Society event.
Your Undergraduate Society is the student government located in your faculty. Events they host vary between faculties, but they are all designed to help you have fun, meet people and find your place in your Faculty community. Learn more about your faculty/school’s specific programming:
Other events happening on campus
See a comprehensive listing of events happening on campus.
If you’re wondering what the day will look like, you can look back to Imagine UBC from last year.
If you have a disability or medical condition that may affect your full participation in orientations, please contact email@example.com as soon as possible so that arrangements can be made to ensure full participation.