Special Event Permit checklist for indoor space

Getting approvals

Follow the steps below to get your Special Event Permit. You'll need to submit your application at least 30 days before your event to allow for processing times.

You'll need to get approval from these 3 authorities:

Authority Approval
UBC (Scheduling Services and department) Venue location and sponsorship
RCMP and Fire Department Security and emergency safety plan
BC Liquor Control License Branch Special Event Permit

Applying for your Special Occasion License

Step 1. Get Responsible Beverage Service Certification

The licensee, managers, and all servers of any special event permit event, including family events, paid or volunteer, must have a Responsible Beverage Service Certificate.

Step 2. Bring your Request Form to a signing authority

Determine the appropriate request form for your event under "Forms" in the side menu of this page and submit it to the appropriate signing authority.

You may need approval from up to 3 signing authorities, who may impose additional conditions before giving permission to hold your event. They will provide the conditions in writing.

Find your signing authority for:

Step 3. Submit the Request Form to Scheduling Services

Submit the form to Scheduling Services at least 30 days before the event date, along with all of the following documents:

  • A copy of your Responsible Beverage Service Certification
  • A piece of government-issued photo ID
  • If your event has more than 100 guests, you must also submit your completed Safety and Emergency Response Plan. Include a site map indicating exit strategies.

After you submit your documents

Once your application has been reviewed, you'll receive an email advising whether or not your request has been approved in accordance with Alcohol Policy SC9: Serving and Consumption of Alcohol at University Facilities and Events. 

Once the space is approved

Your application and supporting documents will be sent to Campus Security and the RCMP on your behalf.

Step 4. Apply for a Special Event Permit

At least 14 days before your event, apply online for your Special Event Permit (SEP). It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure all the necessary local government approval is obtained.

Once the SEP application has been approved, you’ll receive an email to let you know that you can pay the fees online and print your license.

The SEP must be signed and on display near the bar area during your event, along with receipts from your liquor purchases.

The RCMP processes applications on a first-come, first-serve basis and cannot guarantee turn-around times. They may also impose additional conditions before granting permission to hold your event. If there are concerns with your application, the RCMP will contact you in writing.


Additional resources

If you have questions

For more information about room bookings and events, email Scheduling Services at room.bookings@ubc.ca.