Eligibility requirements for Work Learn International Undergraduate Research Awards

About the awards

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible to apply for an award, you must meet all of the following requirements:

  • You are an international undergraduate student at the UBC Vancouver Campus.
  • You are not an exchange or visiting student to UBC.
  • You have a valid study permit and a Social Insurance Number (SIN). If you don't have a valid SIN, it can take several weeks to apply for one.
  • You are residing in British Columbia, Canada during your work term.
  • You are considered full time for immigration purposes or are on a scheduled break.
  • You will be engaged in research activities at the UBC Vancouver campus on a full-time basis for at least 16 weeks. This includes 35 paid hours per week, plus a one-hour unpaid daily lunch break.
  • You will be working under the supervision of a faculty member.

Graduating students

If you're graduating, you're eligible for the award only for the academic term directly after you complete your program requirements, regardless of your graduation date.

Students who finish their courses in Winter Term 2 (April) and graduate in the spring (May) are eligible to hold a Work Learn International Undergraduate Research Award in the summer term.

Program restrictions

Consider the following restrictions before you apply:

  • You may hold only one Work Learn International Undergraduate Research Award per fiscal year (April 1 to March 31).
  • You may only hold a maximum of 3 Work Learn International Undergraduate Research Awards throughout your degree.
  • You are not allowed to hold a Work Learn International Undergraduate Research Award position in the same term you're holding an NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award or a Work Learn placement.
  • During the award period, you’re recommended to take no more than 3 credits in one summer term (maximum 3-credits in Term 1 and/or 3 credits in Term 2), in order to focus on the 35 hour per week requirement of full-time work in their position.

Work authorization documents

UBC students who have completed their program requirements and whose program completion letter is not yet available are considered “full time for immigration purposes” by UBC.

If your letter of completion is available, you must have applied for a post-graduation work permit or have some other form of authorization to work in Canada. If you have questions about your work eligibility, please speak with an International Student Advisor.

It is your responsibility to ensure you have the necessary work authorization documents to work after completing your studies.

Undergraduate international students who are planning to work full-time during the summer must be on a scheduled break to meet the full-time definition for immigration purposes. This includes Work Learn International Undergraduate Research Award recipients.

If you have questions