On-campus work

Make sure you're eligible to work on campus

What is considered "on-campus" work?

Employment within the boundaries of the campus or in facilities owned, operated, or affiliated with UBC is considered on-campus work. This includes UBC’s Robson Square campus.

Your employer can be:
  • The University
  • A student organization
  • A private contractor operating within the boundaries of the campus. For example, a business in the University Village and Wesbrook Village.

On-campus work includes university-related work at facilities such as teaching hospitals, clinics, and research institutes, which may be located off campus but have a formal association or affiliation with UBC.

Make sure you're eligible to work on campus

You can work on campus starting on the first day of the term you begin studies at UBC if:

  • You have a valid study permit
  • You are a full-time international student at UBC, including exchange & visiting students

Full-time has many definitions at UBC. Visit UBC's definitions for immigration purposes.

How many hours can you work on campus per week?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) does not limit the number of hours you can work on campus. Some UBC employers may restrict the hours students can work.

Benefits of working on campus

By working on campus, you can expand your social and professional networks, be more involved in the campus community and enhance your learning through work experiences in an academic setting. A portion of international undergraduate student tuition fees goes towards subsidizing on-campus work opportunities for eligible international students through Work Learn.

International Student Guide

Find everything you need to know about life as an international student at UBC's Vancouver campus.

View the guide

Related content

Contact us

International Student Advising

Talk to an advisor

International Student Advisors are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) who can help.

When emailing us, include the following information in the email:

  1. Your student number in the subject line
  2. Your name
  3. Your citizenship(s)
  4. All permit and visa expiration dates (if applicable)
  5. Currently in Canada (YES or NO)
  6. If you request specific assistance, please provide detailed information including applicable documents, such as a rejection letter
UBC Life Building
1200-6138 Student Union Blvd.
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1


9:30 am - 4:00 pm
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
9:30 am - 4:00 pm