You are eligible for a Work Learn position only for the academic term directly following the completion of your courses, regardless of your graduation date.
- If you finish your courses in the Summer Term (August) and graduate in November, you are eligibile to hold a Work Learn position in Winter Term 1 only.
- If you finish your courses in Winter Term 1 (December) and graduate in May, you are eligibile to hold a Work Learn position in Winter Term 1 and Winter Term 2 only.
- If you finish your courses in Winter Term 2 (April) and graduate in May, you are eligibile to hold a Work Learn position in the Summer term after.
- If you completed program requirements and your program completion letter is not yet available, you are considered by UBC to be full time for immigration purposes and are still eligible to work unlimited hours on campus.
- If your letter of completion is available, you must meet one of the following scenarios:
- You have a valid study permit and you have applied for a work permit (such as a PGWP, or post-graduation work permit) within 90 days after completing your program at UBC.
- You have an official letter of acceptance into a new academic program, and you have a valid study permit or you have applied to extend your study permit when the old study permit was still valid.
- You have some other form of authorization to work in Canada.
If you have questions about your eligibility, please speak with an International Student Advisor.
Make sure you have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) before you start your Work Learn position. The application process for a SIN can take several weeks.